New H&S scheme for chainsaws coming?

Stere

1 minute ago, Dan Maynard said:

Maybe we'll one day have cards like the construction workers.

I guess it's all bigger sites/companies that need to cover themselves. Most of arb will turn a blind eye.

The big sites will turn a blind eye when it suits them, I was working for another company a while back on a Bloor homes site, one of the company's new lads didn't have a CSCS card, when he was knocked back we said we are off then, the bloke running the site soon changed his mind.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2021 at 14:33, swinny said:

In all fairness, who in ARB needs to actually look at this end information? Benefit of the customer? Employer? 

I just see it as another load of bollocks made by pricks with clipboards.

Those that can do, those that can't teach

From what I've seen of it it looks a great step forward from the silly nptc merry go round. Obviously it's aimed at forestry sites but a lot of the issues it addresses are common to both industries. 

As an employer you'll get a good record of potential employees experience. As an employee you'll get somewhere to record your skill set and log any skill progression. And no more yawning your way through refreshers. 

I believe its also possible to record loler/puwer and risk assessments etc. 

It seems a pretty complete package. And something that's industry specific rather than a construction led scheme that's been bent to fit. Or the aa thing that's just unrealistic/unaffordable to the average Joe. 

From what I know of the guy that's heading it up (Callum Duffy) any comments re clipboards and pricks are way off the mark! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Svts said:

From what I've seen of it it looks a great step forward from the silly nptc merry go round. Obviously it's aimed at forestry sites but a lot of the issues it addresses are common to both industries. 

As an employer you'll get a good record of potential employees experience. As an employee you'll get somewhere to record your skill set and log any skill progression. And no more yawning your way through refreshers. 

I believe its also possible to record loler/puwer and risk assessments etc. 

It seems a pretty complete package. And something that's industry specific rather than a construction led scheme that's been bent to fit. Or the aa thing that's just unrealistic/unaffordable to the average Joe. 

From what I know of the guy that's heading it up (Callum Duffy) any comments re clipboards and pricks are way off the mark! 

Clip boards and pricks is aim D at the origin of the actual scheme and the AA....

Callum Duffy is obv a man who's made a system for its application which from above feedback seems good, but is a financial benefactor from impending scheme. (All the best to him)

20 minutes ago, swinny said:

Clip boards and pricks is aim D at the origin of the actual scheme and the AA....

Callum Duffy is obv a man who's made a system for its application which from above feedback seems good, but is a financial benefactor from impending scheme. (All the best to him)

I've no love of either organisation but neither are going away. And as I contract to at least one business that insists on fisa membership I have no choice. From what I remember fisa came about when the AFAG was disbanded and hse wanted an industry led body to take over. 

Indeed I'm sure the bloke that's developing it will see some financial return. Such is life. Although I believe its a monthly sub of a tenner to use it so not unaffordable. 

this, again, is a drive by those not actually cutting the timber to legislate and make money out of someone, some of the points I do agree with, those requiring actual hours cutting to progress, but as you get older, and the experience grows, the wish to, and the need to clock up those hours decreases, but you never forget what you have learned, and this needs to be recognised as well, not just insisting that you need an "x" amount of hours......this will force a great deal of knowledge out of the cutting industry, and a few numpties willing to kiss ass becoming so called assesors........the forestry industry in the uk is screwed at this time, unless you want to play up to certain large contractors in scotland now, you wont work in the forests, this has been tied up  tighter than ever since  the forestry commision scotland was shaken up, and this is no more evident in the amount of small sawmills that have folded due to being unable to get timber......big boys not playing fair and keeping /disposing of it to suit their needs and profits...........if H&S, get there way almost all tree cutting will go the same way......they dont like anything that they cant control, if you want proof, look at building sites......a ticket for every task...., and not even a std for that....all I can say is thank god I'm coming to the end of my cutting and milling career, because in  a few years......unless your employed by one of the big conglomorates.......your not picking up a saw

• Like 3

5 hours ago, agrimog said:

this, again, is a drive by those not actually cutting the timber to legislate and make money out of someone, some of the points I do agree with, those requiring actual hours cutting to progress, but as you get older, and the experience grows, the wish to, and the need to clock up those hours decreases, but you never forget what you have learned, and this needs to be recognised as well, not just insisting that you need an "x" amount of hours......this will force a great deal of knowledge out of the cutting industry, and a few numpties willing to kiss ass becoming so called assesors........the forestry industry in the uk is screwed at this time, unless you want to play up to certain large contractors in scotland now, you wont work in the forests, this has been tied up  tighter than ever since  the forestry commision scotland was shaken up, and this is no more evident in the amount of small sawmills that have folded due to being unable to get timber......big boys not playing fair and keeping /disposing of it to suit their needs and profits...........if H&S, get there way almost all tree cutting will go the same way......they dont like anything that they cant control, if you want proof, look at building sites......a ticket for every task...., and not even a std for that....all I can say is thank god I'm coming to the end of my cutting and milling career, because in  a few years......unless your employed by one of the big conglomorates.......your not picking up a saw

I’m no forestry worker, rather it’s the milling that I partake of but this whole competency thing can rapidly turn into a money generating scheme. In my main line of work I’m trying to keep qualifications up to date for ,CPCS, OPITO, GWO and IMCA a lot  of the course content is overlapping but each authority is vying for its own training providers to be used. Current situation with IMCA is I have to do a quarterly online CPD session that started off as voluntary but a year in is now compulsory and surprise surprise comes with a £100 per annum registration fee. You can and I’ve seen it happen be deemed competent to carry out a task on Tuesday but not on Wednesday all because of an expiry date on a bit of paper. Much of it is nothing more than arse covering. 

5 hours ago, agrimog said:

I’m no forestry worker, rather it’s the milling that I partake of but this whole competency thing can rapidly turn into a money generating scheme. In my main line of work I’m trying to keep qualifications up to date for ,CPCS, OPITO, GWO and IMCA a lot  of the course content is overlapping but each authority is vying for its own training providers to be used. Current situation with IMCA is I have to do a quarterly online CPD session that started off as voluntary but a year in is now compulsory and surprise surprise comes with a £100 per annum registration fee. You can and I’ve seen it happen be deemed competent to carry out a task on Tuesday but not on Wednesday all because of an expiry date on a bit of paper. Much of it is nothing more than arse covering. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

I'll echo that comment 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So mostly agree money grabbing interfering pricks? 

I'll tick this box anyhow lol 😂

Most main issues are the nptc assessors not failing some of the shite quality of lads coming through. Most likely these are dipsticks that hurt themselves and **************** it up with red tape and bullshit for the rest. 

• Like 2