Nutrition

Steve Bullman

most mornings i normally make myself some scotch pancakes (packed with sugar but made fresh with vanilla extract not cheap vanilla flavour) then its 2 litres of weak diluted juice (water is a bit boring). in my piece box goes 2 apples, 2 clemintines, 2 bananas, 2 babybel type things, a yoghurt and a sandwich and a tortilla wrap with sandwich stuff in it. that does me through the day and i'll generally have a half bowl of pasta for dinner.

I'm on another get rid or chocolate and shite mission. last time after i suffered 3 days of intense cravings i went onto do really well for about 3 weeks then thought id just have one....in the same boat.

Over the summer i went on a cycle holiday and tried not to have much chocolate as it gives you a mega boost then you crash as the sugar leaves your system. in the crash you feel down, lethargic etc and crave more....see the vicious cycle appearing.

As for chocolate i've tried to start eating only dark chocolate and if possible only well made dark chocolate...not brown veg oil and sugar, sorry i meant cadburys, nestle, mars etc.

Jamie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

most mornings i normally make myself some scotch pancakes (packed with sugar but made fresh with vanilla extract not cheap vanilla flavour)

Jamie, that sounds cool. I got my own recipe for scotch pancakes, but I wouldn't mind seeing how they are made east coast style?

Have you ever tried putting some golden syrup into the mix? Please post your recipe and instructions.

Thanks

250px-Lyle

• 3 years later...

Assuming were all over 16 we should be eating around 2500 calories per day from foods containing carbohydrates, proteins and fats (all of which are needed by our bodies daily). If you are doing any kind of manual job then that total can easily go up to 3500+ calories per day, solely to provide yourself with enough energy to complete your tasks. (random related fact, a soldier in physical training will eat around 4500+ calories per day, split over three or more meals).

I read though the entire post and didn't see anyone who ate a decent sized portion of protein, if any at all, for breakfast (which is the most important meal of the day). If you eat protein and carbohydrates together (which one post advised not to do!) your body will take longer to digest the food, keeping you feeling fuller for longer (hence the reason for a good breakfast). If you just eat carbohydrates for breakfast your blood sugar levels rise rapidly and then crash soon after (which results in you feeling hungry again) and if you then eat more carbs (chocolate/crisps/sweets etc) you'll just end up feeling the same again until you eat a proper meal.

A good rule to stick to is to eat at least one/two parts carbohydrate and one part protein at each meal, and add fats (marg/spreads/oils) sparingly. Make breakfast as big as you can, without over doing it, and then eat every 2-4 hours (or sooner if you need to) throughout your working day.

If you don't eat enough and have a lapse in energy during the day, take five minutes out and have something to eat to restore your energy. And if you carry on once your energy levels have dropped you are leaving yourself prone to making mistakes that could result in injury, or worse (especially in this line of work).

And not forgetting liquid. We all need to drink plenty during the day too. Hydration is just as important as eating enough food. During the summer, especially if you are working outside, you should drink as often as possible to stop dehydration. Once dehydration sets in, which often starts as a dull headache, your concentration levels drop dramatically, which again leaves you prone to making mistakes. And if you don't get out of the shade and a few pints of water/juice in you you're going to make yourself really sick. On an average day I'll get through 3 liters of water/juice at work, and if its really hot maybe 5+ liters.

I always wonder how people get by on what they eat, and seemingly have no trouble at all ;)

On a typical day I'll eat between four and six meals. I eat to the above rule 2parts carbohydrate/1part protein per meal, which I'll just make up from proteins like turkey, chicken, beef, quorn, eggs, mackerel or tuna and carbs like green veg, salad veg, baked beans, wholemeal bread, oats, noodles, rice. I do eat more than that but that's off the top of my head. I also abide by the 90/10 rule, 90% healthy and 10% what ever I want, which allows for two or three mindless self indulgence meals each week, ie beer and pizza, fish and chips, burger king etc...

Start the day with a bowl of porridge, banana and a touch of jam, followed by a red bush tea. Then I'm hungry again about 10 am so have a chocolate bar or rye bread with cheese or salami. Couple of nice ham butties with salad and jalapeno peppers for a kick at lunch, accompanied by a packet of walkers baked crisps, activia yoghurt and another chocolate bar. Finish with some fruit or raw carrot and celery. The real eating starts when I get home!

Always a cup of tea or coffee in the morning and maybe a muffin or couple pieces of cold tomato sauce on toast but once I'm working my appetite goes. I usually don't feel like anything to eat until about an hour or so after I've stopped work. Occasionally I might have a bar of chocolate if the legs get a bit wobbly but mainly I'm just sucking up the water and powerades to replace the salts. About 6 Oclock is when I get the munchies big time.

If I eat a plate of vegatables the night before more energy next day. If you like a beer asda value is ok and only 2%. plenty of fibre and water. I dont eat much if I am driving long distance as I would get the mid afternoon nods. If I am logging all day tend to go for pasta. How much weight has everyone put on since this thread started in 07 :lol: