Grandfather rights?

richy_B

9 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Here is what was returned when I upgraded and changed address.

D65C04D7-FBFD-46E4-A72F-BD95B2F9A3AE.jpeg

@Justme

So by the looks of it...

The only one with 19.01.13 change is A.

BE -  has no code.  

D1 - 101 - not for hire or reward (that is, not to make a profit).

C1E - 107 - not more than 8,250 kilograms.

D1E - 101, 119 - not for hire or reward (that is, not to make a profit), weight limit for vehicle does not apply.

14 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

@Justme

So by the looks of it...

The only one with 19.01.13 change is A.

BE -  has no code.  

D1 - 101 - not for hire or reward (that is, not to make a profit).

C1E - 107 - not more than 8,250 kilograms.

D1E - 101, 119 - not for hire or reward (that is, not to make a profit), weight limit for vehicle does not apply.

I often wonder why the BE does not also have a 119 weight limit does not apply on it.

It is clearly on the gov site but does not show on the view a licence.

Category BE

You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:

• before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer
  • on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg

Edited by Justme

I remember the story of the police motorcyclist who sent his

licensee of for renewal and when it came back there was no motorcycle entitlement on it . He told them when he passed his test and what his job was but they were adamant that it could not be .  I think in the end he had to take a test again . 

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I remember the story of the police motorcyclist who sent his

licensee of for renewal and when it came back there was no motorcycle entitlement on it . He told them when he passed his test and what his job was but they were adamant that it could not be .  I think in the end he had to take a test again . 

Classic example of idiots sat behind a desk... 'computer says No!'

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Justme said:

I often wonder why the BE does not also have a 119 weight limit does not apply on it.

It is clearly on the gov site but does not show on the view a licence.

Category BE

The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:

• on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg

Thank you! It really doesn't help de-confuse the issue when the Government says:

Category B - if you passed your test before 1 January 1997

You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Then a little further down the same page:

Category BE

My licence for B and BE was issued in 1978,  so the Cat BE quote tells me that as long as the MAM of the towing vehicle doesn't exceed 3,500kg and it can legally do so I can tow any weight of trailer. However the first point tells me that I am "usually" limited to a gross combined MAM of 8,250kg but that I should check online for my particular licence. However towing any trailer over 750kg is nothing to do with the cat B, it is the cat BE, so the note under the cat B heading is actually talking about having cat BE.

If that wasn't confusing enough, checking online says absolutely nothing about this at all under the cat B entry, and says that despite having a 1978 cat BE I can drive a 3,500kg MAM vehicle towing a 3,500kg trailer, rather than saying any size of trailer. So nothing about any weight of trailer and nothing about a limit of 8250kg.

1998111220_Screenshot2021-06-02172415.jpg.29da5c22f5849c0da6593f68f366f63a.jpg

Is it not also the case now that it is the actual laden weight of the trailer which is significant, not the MAM?

No wonder people are confused and bl**dy lawyers get rich!  

Edited by Treewolf

1 hour ago, Treewolf said:

Thank you! It really doesn't help de-confuse the issue when the Government says:

You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.

Category BE

My licence for B and BE was issued in 1978,  so the Cat BE quote tells me that as long as the MAM of the towing vehicle doesn't exceed 3,500kg and it can legally do so I can tow any weight of trailer. However the first point tells me that I am "usually" limited to a gross combined MAM of 8,250kg but that I should check online for my particular licence. However towing any trailer over 750kg is nothing to do with the cat B, it is the cat BE, so the note under the cat B heading is actually talking about having cat BE.

If that wasn't confusing enough, checking online says absolutely nothing about this at all under the cat B entry, and says that despite having a 1978 cat BE I can drive a 3,500kg MAM vehicle towing a 3,500kg trailer, rather than saying any size of trailer. So nothing about any weight of trailer and nothing about a limit of 8250kg.

Is it not also the case now that it is the actual laden weight of the trailer which is significant, not the MAM?

For licences its always the MLPM.

Its just that for a BE holder its normally the actual vehicles capacity to tow that is the limiting factor. So a car limited to a 5000kg GTW that weighs 2500kg can tow a trailer plated to 3500kg as long as the real GTW is under the vehicles limit.

The wording on that guide as usually, is crap yes. Its like they dont want you to know that actual law.

ps the DVSA know about the view a licence being wrong re pre 19-01-2013 BE licence limits but have no plans to change it.

Edited by Justme

1 hour ago, Treewolf said:

Category BE

I don't see how you can have the word " usually " in a set of rules .