Grandfather rights?

richy_B

Always been slightly confused with regards to what I could legally tow behind a 7.5 tonner on my Grandfather rights 7.5 tonne license, as I’ve an old paper license with no mention of the 107 code.

Thanks to a post here I checked up online this morning and here’s the screenshot of my C1E category entitlement.

I would say this and my license are pretty conclusive I can tow up to 12,000kg, but like so many others the worry is how can you possibly retain it if you have to renew/replace your license?

The opportunity should be given at the time they wish to add the 107 code to provide evidence that you have utilised it and wish to retain it?

Eddie.

EAE90F11-AC55-4B53-B1A9-C4EBC8EE55DC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Eddie, that is exactly the problem I had.

Screnshot was the same as yours without restriction before I upgraded my

license.

When it came back the restriction was online as well as the card.

I even showed them the before screenshot, they just said it was impossible and it was wrong.  

Not sure how it would stand up to the law if you got a tug?

If the police they tugged you and checked online, it would show no trailer weight restriction so should be ok.?

The just kept reciting the line to me they had no record of me ever sitting a test.  Even though I explained the year I passed and what I was entitled to drive etc.

They just kept saying pre 97 blah, blah. I suggested they check the entitlements for a pass in 1992.

Just don’t upgrade or move.  

3 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

Always been slightly confused with regards to what I could legally tow behind a 7.5 tonner on my Grandfather rights 7.5 tonne license, as I’ve an old paper license with no mention of the 107 code.

Thanks to a post here I checked up online this morning and here’s the screenshot of my C1E category entitlement.

I would say this and my license are pretty conclusive I can tow up to 12,000kg, but like so many others the worry is how can you possibly retain it if you have to renew/replace your license?

The opportunity should be given at the time they wish to add the 107 code to provide evidence that you have utilised it and wish to retain it?

Eddie.

3 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

Eddie.

Sadly the on line checker is not definitive.

It has my BE as limited to 3500+3500 yet its not.

Your c1e is pre 97 not from taking test so it is restricted to 8250kg.

14 minutes ago, Justme said:

Sadly the on line checker is not definitive.

Your c1e is pre 97 not from taking test so it is restricted to 8250kg.

Fair enough, but if you are supposed to take these things as the rules and regs we have to meet.  You are only going on what the official website it stating are your entitlements.  

How could you be prosecuted if there was an issue when you are only following the guidelines? 

59 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Fair enough, but if you are supposed to take these things as the rules and regs we have to meet.  You are only going on what the official website it stating are your entitlements.  

How could you be prosecuted if there was an issue when you are only following the guidelines? 

When it changed everyone was notified, they did a media campaign about it & ignorance of the law is no defence.

It is clearly on the website that a pre 97 has a 107 against the C1E.

Does your D1E show that the weight limit does not apply?

Or that your BE is unlimited trailer not 3500kg?

1 hour ago, Justme said:

Can I ask what you mean by this, please?

Cat B is limited to 3500kg MAM, and BE can tow a trailer with a gross weight of 3500kg. Heavier than 3500kg MAM for a vehicle requires eg C1, but can a sub-3500 vehicle tow a heavier-than-3500 trailer driven by someone with a BE licence if the gross train weight remains under 7500kg?

If you had something like a Series Landrover allowed to tow 4 tons with coupled brakes (as indeed they used to be), could you do this on a BE licence?

7 minutes ago, Treewolf said:

Can I ask what you mean by this, please?

Cat B is limited to 3500kg MAM, and BE can tow a trailer with a gross weight of 3500kg. Heavier than 3500kg MAM for a vehicle requires eg C1, but can a sub-3500 vehicle tow a heavier-than-3500 trailer driven by someone with a BE licence if the gross train weight remains under 7500kg?

If you had something like a Series Landrover allowed to tow 4 tons with coupled brakes (as indeed they used to be), could you do this on a BE licence?

There have been two important dates.

01-01-97 & the one most dont know 19-01-2013.

We all know about the big changes on the first date. On the second date they removed the unlimited trailer plate weight from the BE (along with a few other bits too).

So in your example of the landrover, someone with a pre 19-01-2013 licence can tow a 4000kg plated trailer assuming all other rules are followed, the big one being active brakes.

You can not do so with a post 19-01-2013 BE or a C1E one even a CE licence as they actually have a lower weight limit before they apply.

You could even tow a trailer plated to say 10000kg as long as the real weight was within the capability of the vehicle with the older BE.

With the new BE you cant tow a trailer plated to 3501kg even if the actual weight is under 3500kg / within capabilities of vehicle.

1 hour ago, Justme said:

When it changed everyone was notified, they did a media campaign about it & ignorance of the law is no defence.

It is clearly on the website that a pre 97 has a 107 against the C1E.

Does your D1E show that the weight limit does not apply?

Or that your BE is unlimited trailer not 3500kg?

Here is what was returned when I upgraded and changed address.

D65C04D7-FBFD-46E4-A72F-BD95B2F9A3AE.jpeg

Everyone gets so wound up over this stuff. There aren't even many 3,500kg vehicles that can tow over 3,500kg. Trailers over 3,500kg can't have overrun brakes, so that also rules out most 3.5t vehicles from towing them anyway.

My van has a GVW of 3,500kg and a GTW of 7,000kg. My trailer has a GVW of 3,500kg. I have a B+E licence so i'm covered for what i drive.

Getting C+E so i can drive whatever the hell i want and not worry about the minor ins and outs of lower licences.