3 ton timber trailer

no experiance on small cranes/trailers but i would say be awful careful of what you lift with them having bent jib on our junkarri p3151 

blacksmith and loler man reckon its from lifting at its max and trying to cheat a bit by one end of log at a time into trailer and dragging logs along deck to get max lift close in.    still waiting on prices from junkarri to see how much for new part but i bet its going to be scary.  

one mistake we made was we didnt get multiple sets of pins so have to cut all to 3.6 m to allow to sit in nice and easy - can go down to 3 m but its awful close to falling through,    so more pins perhaps longer trailer and cut big lumps into two to take strain off crane is a good route to look into

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, the village idiot said:

Hi folks,

I am considering purchasing a small timber trailer with crane to go behind my 49hp alpine tractor.

Looking at around 3 ton load capacity with a width of no more than 1.6mtrs (I have a narrow bridge in the woodland that I need to be able to fit over).

Does anyone have any good recommendations? Have been looking at the usual suspects (Riko, Kranman etc).

Quite like the look of the Kilworth Machinery one but wondered if the wheels might be a little bit small?

1846336724_kilworthtrailer.thumb.jpg.e60da26dd68f1cc052edb3a1bf8ce51d.jpg

Any thoughts and experiences of trailers similar to this much appreciated.

TVI.

I would not be that bothered about the size of the wheels as they are quite tough and capable, we have had a trailer that we built and the only thing wrong was it should of been a ladder frame and not a single spine as in your photo, and you know what life is like, it can be very cruel at times as about a month after we built ours a ladder framed one croped up for sale for a bit less than what ours cost to build, We have had ours about ten years now and it has had some abuse in that time, the crane on ours is not fantastic by a long way but it does the job, and from some later reserch and viewing and use of other smaller cranes the country cranes supplied by Riko and the Farma cranes seem to be miles ahead of the other manufactures of small cranes but you get what you pay for and that goes for the timber grab as well, If you could find some one who owns one of the trailers in your photo or better still if they have a demo one you could have for a few days do it ,

20180919_161258.jpg

20180420_162042.jpg

IMG_0586.JPG

new phon photos (1) (111).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

I would not be that bothered about the size of the wheels as they are quite tough and capable, we have had a trailer that we built and the only thing wrong was it should of been a ladder frame and not a single spine as in your photo, and you know what life is like, it can be very cruel at times as about a month after we built ours a ladder framed one croped up for sale for a bit less than what ours cost to build, We have had ours about ten years now and it has had some abuse in that time, the crane on ours is not fantastic by a long way but it does the job, and from some later reserch and viewing and use of other smaller cranes the country cranes supplied by Riko and the Farma cranes seem to be miles ahead of the other manufactures of small cranes but you get what you pay for and that goes for the timber grab as well, If you could find some one who owns one of the trailers in your photo or better still if they have a demo one you could have for a few days do it ,

20180919_161258.jpg

20180420_162042.jpg

IMG_0586.JPG

new phon photos (1) (111).jpg

Excellent stuff!

Why was it a mistake not to have a ladder chassis?

Do your smaller wheels ride over small logs and stumps OK?

Just another point to consider..
Are you on flat ground TVI? If not make sure you spec something up with brakes, even if they’re just on one of the spools… Those alpines don’t weigh much.
Having to accelerate down a slope to keep straight and stop the trailer jack knifing is not a nice experience at all.
Riko recommended that I stick to 1.5-2 tonnes on my AGT 850.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Excellent stuff!

Why was it a mistake not to have a ladder chassis?

Do your smaller wheels ride over small logs and stumps OK?

A ladder designed chassis would be far more stronger and would have a lot less flex in it due to design, but bear in mind the one i have was originally built for behind a quad but due to the terrain we was working on the trailer spent more time on its side than right end up due to width only being 1.2mtr wide, we devised a way of having the width adjustable from 1,2mtr out to 1.5mtr so it could work behind both quad and tractor, if i was going to make another it would definatly be a ladder frame tho, and the small wheels seem to travel fine over most stuff but sometimes it pays to just pay that extra bit of attension to where your going and pick your rout in and out, 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Commando said:

Just another point to consider..
Are you on flat ground TVI? If not make sure you spec something up with brakes, even if they’re just on one of the spools… Those alpines don’t weigh much.
Having to accelerate down a slope to keep straight and stop the trailer jack knifing is not a nice experience at all.
Riko recommended that I stick to 1.5-2 tonnes on my AGT 850.

Good call. Brakes on a spool is perfectly acceptable to me, especially offroad with a switched on driver. Depending upon the flow at idle you may wish to add a flow restrictor, or better still an adjustable pressure relief valve with a return to the tractor spools. This will keep it from locking up, although depending upon your spool valve lever you may even have enough control there.

• Like 2