3 ton timber trailer

Hi folks,

I am considering purchasing a small timber trailer with crane to go behind my 49hp alpine tractor.

Looking at around 3 ton load capacity with a width of no more than 1.6mtrs (I have a narrow bridge in the woodland that I need to be able to fit over).

Does anyone have any good recommendations? Have been looking at the usual suspects (Riko, Kranman etc).

Quite like the look of the Kilworth Machinery one but wondered if the wheels might be a little bit small?

1846336724_kilworthtrailer.thumb.jpg.e60da26dd68f1cc052edb3a1bf8ce51d.jpg

Any thoughts and experiences of trailers similar to this much appreciated.

TVI.

• Like 3

I wouldn't limit myself to 3 tonne. I needed a trailer for our 55hp compact and started looking around for something SH. Never saw anything come up in the lower weight category and ended up with a Mowi 6 tonne at a good price. In reality you would be hard pushed to ever get 6 tonnes on it anyway and our 55 hp tractor has no problems pulling it fully laden with 8'-10' lengths

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I wouldn't limit myself to 3 tonne. I needed a trailer for our 55hp compact and started looking around for something SH. Never saw anything come up in the lower weight category and ended up with a Mowi 6 tonne at a good price. In reality you would be hard pushed to ever get 6 tonnes on it anyway and our 55 hp tractor has no problems pulling it fully laden with 8'-10' lengths

In principle I totally agree with you. Unfortunately we are limited in size by a narrow bridge that we have to extract over. There is an alternative route but it is ridiculously long and involves a stretch of public road which would be nice to avoid.

8 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

In principle I totally agree with you. Unfortunately we are limited in size by a narrow bridge that we have to extract over. There is an alternative route but it is ridiculously long and involves a stretch of public road which would be nice to avoid.

Yes, I hadn't appreciated how narrow that is. Casting a tape over ours its 1.9m wide!

10 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

How long is the bridge? Two sections of hollowcore would make a 2.4 mtr wide crossing for less than a grand, day for a digger and a few concrete "Lego blocks" either side for it to sit on.. ?

Nice idea,

The bridge is pretty long. It goes over a deep railway cutting which is now a council owned public footpath. 

I don't fancy my chances of getting permission to put a new bridge in.

6 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Nice idea,

The bridge is pretty long. It goes over a deep railway cutting which is now a council owned public footpath. 

I don't fancy my chances of getting permission to put a new bridge in.

Understood, had assumed it was over a stream/gully etc. 

Dangerous things, assumptions!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1