Biggest C*ck ups on quotes...

Clutchy

6 hours ago, Dbikeguy said:

Storm damaged willow. A old mates brother, had a limb snap out could i go deal with that and fell the rest.
Looked at the picture (was a 40 min drive) looked to be about 12” that had snapped as the main leader, base looked to be about 24” max.
Price agreed, rocked you a few days later, one guy with me to find at least 35” main stem had failed, they had ‘to help me’ started cutting it up and stacking it ( i nearly set fire to it and left) No easy garden access without a 150m walk each way to get to the chipper.

Neighbour wanted the chip in ton bags, though that might speed things up.

Planned an easy day.
3 days, 4 chains on the 562, metal everywhere - why always willows?!
18 full bags of chip,
7 trailer and pickup loads of logs

Have never quoted off a picture since!

I have quoted from pictures with only a few problems over here in France. 
Expats who live a long way away, so I can’t be bothered to go in person.

The rule is (at least in my head) if you want to up the price on the day you must do it before you cut anything.

That way you can walk away if they dont like the price without any moral issues.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I have quoted from pictures with only a few problems over here in France. 
Expats who live a long way away, so I can’t be bothered to go in person.

The rule is (at least in my head) if you want to up the price on the day you must do it before you cut anything.

That way you can walk away if they dont like the price without any moral issues.

Agree with you there, Pricing from pictures is when Estimates are given rather than Quotes, make it clear that you can’t be 100% accurate from pictures. 
sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised, other times the customer is quite understanding if you inform them before cutting that the price was off.

ive been very lucky so far for major cock ups, my skin has been saved by alternative ways of working or getting big kit in which worked out surprisingly cheap- an oak to monolith over new sewage system, garage, fence and lamp I’d priced for a day for 2, 1 load, would have been 2 days for 3 and 3 loads, canceled, rebooked and got a grip saw in, done in 3 hours, the lorrys  30m3 bin filled (I was mincing everything down with a saw!) and made a profit.

felled 40 odd aspens, don’t know what I was thinking waste wise, priced for 60m3, well over 150m3. Managed to get a biomas chipper in and tipp at a mates farm, broke even.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

Why you'd have a 30" bar on an 881?

Seems mental!

It's a hell of a lot more ballanced with the 30 on. Wanted a 36 but bought a 30 off Ratman on here. I have a 42 but I didn't have it with me as at the time I was going to sell it, it's really nose heavy and not nice to use. The 881 feels like a chainsaw should with a 30"bar on, I don't have to fight it up onto timber. 

Also, at the time I had just bought the 881 for milling so I was trying to use it as much as possible to run it in before running it hard on a 74" mill 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 1