Biggest C*ck ups on quotes...

Clutchy

23 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

Built this pergola recently. Originally priced out for treated pine as that's what they asked for. Then they asked how much extra for English oak. So I did a fag packet calculation for the difference and forgot a few things. Couple of unpaid days in the workshop to follow. Note to self. Estimate when sat down and thinking straight. I've underpriced in the past far worse but this was the most recent. 20210526_134352.thumb.jpeg.5ee84d7a1fce533787a8d810901f80bc.jpeg

But it do look proper, an thats wot counts. K

ive not a  serious cock up for a few years, certainly not in the last 10 years or so since I started buying more kit.

most of the time if you've cocked up its down to the amount of arisings, but if your chipping with a heizohack and running chip in a bulker trailer and moving timber with a timber trailer another load or two isn't the end of the world

generally when it comes to amount of chip il over estimate then be pleasantly surprised that we've only moved 100 cube off site

• Like 3

ive not a  serious cock up for a few years, certainly not in the last 10 years or so since I started buying more kit.
most of the time if you've cocked up its down to the amount of arisings, but if your chipping with a heizohack and running chip in a bulker trailer and moving timber with a timber trailer another load or two isn't the end of the world
generally when it comes to amount of chip il over estimate then be pleasantly surprised that we've only moved 100 cube off site
Surely you'd be even deeper in do-do if you get the amount wrong by a factor of two though? Like I did on Saturday, multi stem willow to clear up fallen stems and repollard remaining. Thought a morning work, took all day so have to go back for the other tree.

I have also just priced a leylandii removal so maybe this will be a future post on this thread.....PSX_20210527_205029.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Surely you'd be even deeper in do-do if you get the amount wrong by a factor of two though? Like I did on Saturday, multi stem willow to clear up fallen stems and repollard remaining. Thought a morning work, took all day so have to go back for the other tree.

I have also just priced a leylandii removal so maybe this will be a future post on this thread.....PSX_20210527_205029.jpeg

id say your unlikely to be so far out on material, maybe you don’t get a 6th load out in a day or you’ve got to go back for another half a load of chip you couldn’t fit in another trailer.

i’m not saying i’m infallible, but maybe i’ve just got a pricing method that works well for me or maybe i don’t try to screw down prices to win a job 

• Like 3

Storm damaged willow. A old mates brother, had a limb snap out could i go deal with that and fell the rest.
Looked at the picture (was a 40 min drive) looked to be about 12” that had snapped as the main leader, base looked to be about 24” max.
Price agreed, rocked you a few days later, one guy with me to find at least 35” main stem had failed, they had ‘to help me’ started cutting it up and stacking it ( i nearly set fire to it and left) No easy garden access without a 150m walk each way to get to the chipper.

Neighbour wanted the chip in ton bags, though that might speed things up.

Planned an easy day.
3 days, 4 chains on the 562, metal everywhere - why always willows?!
18 full bags of chip,
7 trailer and pickup loads of logs

Have never quoted off a picture since!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3