Arb tippers are people using.

Aisakelly

It depends on your main source of work really. I my opinion, a Transit sized truck makes no sense as they carry naff all if you are intending to try and run legally all the time!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PeteB said:

It depends on your main source of work really. I my opinion, a Transit sized truck makes no sense as they carry naff all if you are intending to try and run legally all the time!

It will be interesting to see the payloads between transits, defenders and hilux's etc- Realworld weights, get all 3 on the scales to compare. A hilux has a gross payload with the standard bed of 1060kg with an arb bed and tipper kit etc it's unknown. The transit won't handle weight as badly as a hilux/defender either. If you load a transit the weight is spread between the axles, a pickup puts all the weight over the rear axle. If you stick a trailer on the back too with a 60-100kg nose weight it won't be far off popping a wheelie when you brake. 

Only thing I will say about the transit is I don't have to take the chipper with me all the time. For small/medium jobs I can just chuck it all in the back and tip back at the yard for a big chip up at some point. If you go for the double cab you have some good storage space or if you get the single cab you have tonnes of room for a toolbox. 

40 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It will be interesting to see the payloads between transits, defenders and hilux's etc- Realworld weights, get all 3 on the scales to compare. A hilux has a gross payload with the standard bed of 1060kg with an arb bed and tipper kit etc it's unknown. The transit won't handle weight as badly as a hilux/defender either. If you load a transit the weight is spread between the axles, a pickup puts all the weight over the rear axle. If you stick a trailer on the back too with a 60-100kg nose weight it won't be far off popping a wheelie when you brake. 

Only thing I will say about the transit is I don't have to take the chipper with me all the time. For small/medium jobs I can just chuck it all in the back and tip back at the yard for a big chip up at some point. If you go for the double cab you have some good storage space or if you get the single cab you have tonnes of room for a toolbox. 

If you go for the double cab you will be overweight before leaving the yard

13 minutes ago, dumper said:

If you go for the double cab you will be overweight before leaving the yard

A Hilux has a mgw for the single cab of 3010kg, it's curb weight is 1850. That's 1160kg payload minus the weight of the tipper pump, ram, bed etc which probably puts it at 1050kg ish if you're lucky as rams and pumps aren't light then add an arb body to it. The newer shaped single cab transit, twin rear tyre with a scattolini tipper is 1060kg payload but you gain more room, stability and practicality (room for 3 guys vs room for 2). You can run some super light sideboards as you have more room or get an arb body. 

If you want the most payload then you want a Renault Master with a scattolini bed as that's got a 1349kg payload. 

If you want the most payload get a trailer. Mine is legally 2500kg payload and I can pop a few hundred kg in the back of Landy at the same time.

Mostly rural work it's a brilliant combination, wouldn't be so great if all work round town.

Or a proper lorry of course.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aisakelly said:

Just wondering what arb tippers people are using like in pictures a have posted as not sure what body to go for Bitt tip/Tip Master anyone have pictures of either bodies on hilux/defender/transit/IMG_3056.jpgIMG_3055.jpgIMG_1622007341.029675.jpg

Are you needing help on what vehicle to get? or what tipper manufacture? or just the chipbox layout/style?

Easiest and cheapest is to buy a vehicle with a tipper fitted, high sides are easy enough for most fabricators to knock up as too the toolbox.

2 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

If you get a double cab, your front axle is usually overweight if you don't have a good dump before leaving the yard !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1