Unimog advice!

Benarb

Hi, Just after some advice from mog owners.

We are thinking about buying a mog soon and just wanted to ask a few questions to owners on positives and negatives of them. We are on a farm so would come in handy for this now and again alongside our tree work. 

positives - Has it helped you to win larger jobs, get additional work with other firms, upped efficiency on the bigger jobs? larger capacity pto chippers cheaper than buying an equivalent bandit for example.

negatives? running costs, sat round not doing alot?

Which size mog has a decent capacity and enough power to run equipment and tow? Which mog to avoid?

Thanks!!

I dont know the newer mogs too well so cant comment on them other than they're still expensive!

If you're hauling chip long distances you'll need a long wheel base to carry enough volume to make it viable. the weight of a 10+inch pto chipper will push you to more than the payload of a six stud axle so either a 1250/1650 with uprated axles (and springs) or bigger on a 10 stud axle.

For parts you're best off going straight to zee germans/dutch/Austrians for secondhand bits. UK prices are well off the mark. Ac price are good for merc bits new.

Mogs are a bit more maintenance heavy than "conventional" tractors of their time but if kept on top of they are reliable.

I wouldnt like to be using one full time on a farm if I had to constantly change implements. Visibility is poor unless you have the rear body completely removed. 

Mercedes own front linkage is shite, so dont pay extra for one with that.

Do pay extra for one with all pto and hydraulic gubbins present, these bits are hard to come by second hand and command very strong prices.

Check under the cab with a screwdriver. They rot. Don't let a fresh coat of paint fool you. Cabs are expensive. 

There are so many variations on mogs it's almost impossible to say a is good, b is bad, but I'd forget any of the older machines ie 404 406 900etc, just not up to the job. U1000 upwards are capable machines depending on the size you're looking for. U90s with the sprinter engine are under powered and look crap too. 

As regards winning work, yes. I can get in anywhere a transit will go and many places one couldn't, can chip faster and keep up with the trucks on the road. No worries of being over 3.5 ton. Ag diesel makes it cheaper per km than a jeep. They are a good advertising tool, but they do draw the ire of some of the woke brigade, then again what doesn't.

Mine does sit around not doing a lot some weeks but so be it, they're not depreciating, not decent ones any way. It always starts first tip of the key and is a simple, mechanical device which can be fixed with spanners. 

If you're into fixing stuff theres a crashed one available in meegan salvage in co. Louth ireland at the moment. Lovely machine, just needs a cab and dash. My other half wont let me buy it."one is enough"

• Like 4