Mammal Shortage Here

Billhook

On 24/05/2021 at 07:57, Bob_z_l said:

Been living in an area between 4 farms for the last 20 odd years. 

In that time the rabbit population has declined to zero. In fact I can't remember the last time I saw one. Even then it was myxied to heck. 
Definite increase in Crows, magpies and jays.  Buzzards in the last 12 years and Red Kites in the last 7-5 years. 

On the plus we have a health population of swallows, greater spotted woodpeckers and all manner of finches and tit's.

Plenty of Roe 11 in the fields early this year in broad daylight. Now down to 6 or so due to roadkill.

Foxes are only seen when they are released by rescue charities and don't last long as there isn't any fast food outlets for miles. 

Badgers are around but since I haven't done my 5am commute for ages I've not seen one for a year.

Owls up and down. There were 4 Barn Owls but I haven't seen ne this year. There are a coupe of tawny and little owls that use nearby oak to announce themselves.

Rodents, are always around as the cats will prove. Not had a wood mouse or timber mouse for a year or so. But plenty of shrews and voles when seasonal.

All in all some's up....some's down but there is still plenty out there. 

Exactly the same here in Lincolnshire.  We used to have a couple of Barn Owl nests but Jackdaws have taken over the boxes and I have not seen one floating around for nearly two years.  The volunteers who put up the boxes and check them regularly have the same story but the Tawny Owls are doing ok.

I feel that the rabbits are suffering from the dreadful Haemorrhagic disease

WWW.GODDARDVETGROUP.CO.UK

RHD is a serious and fatal disease in rabbits. It is also known as VHD (Viral Haemorrhagic Disease) and RCV (Rabbit...

I have not seen a Myxomatosed rabbit for ages and the Haemorrhagic ones die in the burrows.

This could spell disaster for the Foxes, Badgers Stoats, Weasels and others that rely on young rabbits.  The lack of insects will also affect mammals as will the amount of rain this month.

Actually have not seen a rat in the yard for ages or seen a sign of one. " 'tis an ill wind that blows nobody any good"

8 hours ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

What are the signs of RHD on a bunny cos once I’ve shot them there is usually blood coming out their ears and nose and once my dog has retrieved it bruising etc internally

The only ones I have seen were looking weak like Myxy ones from a distance but close up their heads and eyes were normal but their bodies were just skin and bone.  I believe they just starve to death as they perhaps cannot swallow or digest normally.

Edited by Billhook
  • Like 1

Sounds horrible, worse than Myxie. 

Someone else mentioned Weasels. Saw a couple last year. Don't know about the rabbits but they seem to be doing well without.

We also have some of these strange "singing" frogs round here. Rumoured to be the edible sort. They are gradually colonising the numerous small ponds and lakes and must be supporting some of the local wildlife. 

8 hours ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

What are the signs of RHD on a bunny cos once I’ve shot them there is usually blood coming out their ears and nose and once my dog has retrieved it bruising etc internally

It's basically like a really bad flu. They get conjunctivitis with a creamy discharge. Eyes, nose, face and genitals are usually swollen (not that I regularly check their genitals but when they're facing away it's like a baboons arse). They get slow, lose their appetite and then struggle to breathe and die. I've had ones you can just walk up to and it's like they don't know that you're there.

*Edit*

Ignore me, you're on about RHD not myxie 😂🤦🏼

Edited by Paddy1000111

38 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Don,t seem to be seeing many butterflies about this year yet,don,t know if anybody else has noticed or if it,s just round here

Seeing them just now Gary as the sun has come out .

• Like 1