sharpening stump grinder teeth

Dilz

Got a Laski 360sw recently. It's my first foray into stump grinder ownership. It came with what look like yellow jacket style teeth (can turn 180 degrees to get a new edge). Wondering what is the best way to go about sharpening them...( though the set that's on has plenty of life in them they will inevitably get worn down ) 

IMG_20210522_144059_6.jpg

I use a diamond wheel on a bench grinder. Before that I had the green silicone I think type of wheel that worked well but created some very nasty dust, you really need to use a good filtered face mask with that. I have seen a wheel that you fit to a handheld angle grinder although I have never tried it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mesterh said:

I use a diamond wheel on a bench grinder. Before that I had the green silicone I think type of wheel that worked well but created some very nasty dust, you really need to use a good filtered face mask with that. I have seen a wheel that you fit to a handheld angle grinder although I have never tried it.

I usually get around x4 sharpenings with my diamond wheel on a bench grinder. I use yellow jacket teeth on my machines. Just don't let them get too blunt, I tend to change and sharpen after every full day's work. I looked in my knackered teeth bin the other day, I reckon there must be around x500 buggered up teeth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mesterh said:

Those green grit wheels are very friable, so they keep presenting fresh grit to the carbide but just because the diamond doesn't produce as much dust isn't a good reason not to wear a mask and have good ventilation as tungsten carbide dust is not likely to be good for you in any case.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PC Treescapes said:

I run multi tip teeth on my predator 38x, when they start to blunt/slow down, there never seems anything left worth sharpening? Does anyone else sharpen these ones, can't see its worth it. Do people just scrap the old teeth, does seem a waste 🤷‍♂️

I found multi tip difficult to sharpen, I used to use a diamond disc on an angle grinder held upside down in a vice. Didn't really rate the disc, tried using it when the teeth were still in situ but found it awkward as the cutting wheel tended to move slightly. Multi tip are a good tooth, easy to change, just make sure you reposition them when the leading cutters are less sharp. I think if you could find someone to re tip the tip, the cost wouldn't be effective compared to getting new. My yellow jacket teeth work out around £8 each from Vermeer UK when I buy a tub of 60, you get a 20% discount. €13 plus VAT  over in France for the same tooth, you might get 15 % discount. Some Brit in the north of France sent me a brochure detailing the teeth he made himself, "Yellow jacket type teeth", same price as the real thing over here. 

• Like 1

I run multi tip teeth on my predator 38x, when they start to blunt/slow down, there never seems anything left worth sharpening? Does anyone else sharpen these ones, can't see its worth it. Do people just scrap the old teeth, does seem a waste 🤷‍♂️

I have run MT on two machines for the last 5 years, love the set up and it’s a 2 min job to change the lead teeth and then it’s back to full steam! I do “tickle “ them up but if there mullered or really dull I just bin then, green wheels are expensive and the dust is v Nasty, I then sell them on. Just price correctly and change the teeth.

• Like 2

with the yellow jacket style teeth...is it best just to sharpen the flat underside or just the outer round edge? saw a special (meaning rather expensive) wheel for yellow jackets that had a special concave / groove that just sharpened the outer edge. 

• Like 2

Usually the outside but the tungsten is fairly thick so you can grind the flat side a bit. There was a thread about this awhile ago in regards to not grinding the surface. 

I used to braze on new tips but more often than not too much steel had been removed from previous sharpens so it wasn't worth it.

If the teeth have taken a real battering then just bin them. 

As someone else mentioned use a decent mask even when using a diamond grinding wheel, it's just that the green wheels produce a hell of a lot of dust that hangs in the air which can cause silicosis iirc.

• Like 1