Barbas unilux 4.9kW

Mum's getting a new stove, replacing an old but absolutely perfect Franco belge instead of getting our installed in the new house.  I think the sweep has suggested the barbas,. Dutch she's told.  Anyone know if they are ok?  Just don't want her being sold something rubbish by a sweep that's making extra to supply.... Not fussed on replacing a perfectly good stove... It's paid for itself and it may be the unilux will fit the new opening better .... Or at least it's for the sweep to sort out installing it if he's recommended it!

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard of the brand yes but not any first hand experience.

The Uk importer is here:

COMPANYCHECK.CO.UK

BARBAS BELLFIRES UK LIMITED. Free company accounts direct from Companies House. Download Accounts FREE

In business 28 years but only work 75k ish,  sounds like a pretty small set up.   The issue is that sooner or later spare parts will be needed,   while they have a good network in their country of origin and seem to have some UK dealers but I would be worried about parts back up unless the Uk importer is doing the stocking.   Which looking at the financial figures I doubt.

As an aside I can only see an 11kw version,  for an inset stove thats a huge output and will heat a room with a volume of 150cu m given average insulation levels or 170 cu m for good insulation.      Is this an inset stove,   dont recall FB doing an inset and I used to be a dealer before they went under.

Get a second opinion from your local stove retailer.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Hi Alycidon.  The Franco Belge is a Belfort, 5KW freestanding, good solid stove and although i know it would sell on easily I've nabbed it and its going to be a posh patio heater for me (I've bought 2m of flue pipe and a sack truck to move it easily.  That stove wasn't fitted in mum's present house, she moved last year and took the stove, planning to fit it again.  This new house has a Jetmaster fireplace, not great.  She got mucked about by a sweep that had quoted to fit the Belfort but clearly didn't want to (why give a quote?  why give a very cheap quote!?) she found a new sweep.  When he came to sweep the flue and quote it was soon obvious the last guy didn't even sweep more than the first 2m or so last september and just wrote out a certificate...so good job he isn't fitting the belfort after all we feel.  New guy suggested something different and mum went off to a local retailer with my brother and they picked out the brabas.  I've now seen the brochure and it looks good, very swanky. its a 4.9kW unit, Dutch.  Looks so good it makes me jealous....maybe my stovax needs changing....hmmm.....but then again the brabas is costing 3 times what my stockton costs so maybe not.  I've a youtube review by ecostoves and it looks decent, high quality, and has a ten year warranty.  As you say, its not a big company, and you wonder if they will thrive or not, but it seems a good product ...and may well outlive mum

• 2 weeks later...

There is no formal qualifications required to set up as a sweep,  my terrier could do it.  Most installers have seen pretty poor jobs sweeping wise.   Jetmasters can be a nightmare,  pretty inefficient compared to a stove as well.

Had a look at the video,  looks a decent stove, but no better than the Axminster made Arada I400 cassette stove or the Danish Morso S81.    Dont know how it stacks up against those price wise.    At least with Arada ( and in normal times Morso) you have an assured parts back up.

A

• 1 month later...
On 13/06/2021 at 21:14, neiln said:

Thanks alycidon, it's not cheap, she's playing about £2k for the stove I think, and almost same again for install including a 904/904 flexible liner.

Arada I400 or the Morso S81 are both £1200 ish inc VAT from memory.      Both are convector stoves,  so as advanced as it comes.    If yous stove is cast iron and not steel which I doubt then that does add a significant wedge but I cant see where the £800 quid can be in the product.

A

Thanks.  Well the barbas is in as of a couple of weeks ago. I've only seen photos but my it looks good.  The fitters earned their money, the old jet master had warped and stuck in. They spent a day getting it out and still broke and replaced a slip.  The unilux has also apparently been recertified to just over 5kW so they had to add an air brick.  They got the liner in without trouble though and liner, stove and air brick were done, they were cleaned up and gone by lunch-ish.  I just need to get another couple of cube of logs across London to add to the cube or so there and she's set for the cold weather.