Trakmet

Johnsond

I wholeheartedly agree regarding the usefulness of a loader. But on a mobile mill there just isn't a way to tow a mill of this size and also get a loader to site that will lift the 2t+ logs that the machine will mill. Unless, of course it's a few days of milling and so worth paying for the transport to get a machine on site. But in that case I would probably look at getting the wood to the yard instead. A lot of my work is mobile milling for others and pretty much always it's a place that doesn't have a machine to load so I'm doing everything with a winch. My only other option that I can think of is getting the logosol mill and mounting it on a ti axle Ifor or similar and having a good size hiab on the trailer too. But you would still struggle to lift more than 1.5t with the kind of hiab that will be able to be mounted to a trailer... It's a tricky one really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thomasvdb7 said:

I wholeheartedly agree regarding the usefulness of a loader. But on a mobile mill there just isn't a way to tow a mill of this size and also get a loader to site that will lift the 2t+ logs that the machine will mill. Unless, of course it's a few days of milling and so worth paying for the transport to get a machine on site. But in that case I would probably look at getting the wood to the yard instead. A lot of my work is mobile milling for others and pretty much always it's a place that doesn't have a machine to load so I'm doing everything with a winch. My only other option that I can think of is getting the logosol mill and mounting it on a ti axle Ifor or similar and having a good size hiab on the trailer too. But you would still struggle to lift more than 1.5t with the kind of hiab that will be able to be mounted to a trailer... It's a tricky one really. 

Guy I work with has just bought this, lovely bit of kit. You are right in a lot of what you say, unfortunately you need about 5-6 bits of kit to tick every box🤷‍♂️

3BD9AB77-8A12-46D2-A4FF-FF044E6A504B.jpeg

8FF3996B-C5DD-41CE-9A59-7523A8EB0E31.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thomasvdb7 said:

To much weight and you would be adapting a mill to a non custom trailer. Forget that idea 

43 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

To much weight and you would be adapting a mill to a non custom trailer. Forget that idea 

16-18ft tri axle Les and a decent mill 15k he paid for that trailer with the HI AB etc stick 10k on for a decent mill and you have a very versatile set up. Adds few more legs etc, bearing in mind I did my woodlands twin axle from scratch !. 

maybe not as far fetched as it first seems. I guess it’s all down to what you are intending to do with it once built  🤷‍♂️.  

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

16-18ft tri axle Les and a decent mill 15k he paid for that trailer with the HI AB etc stick 10k on for a decent mill and you have a very versatile set up. Adds few more legs etc, bearing in mind I did my woodlands twin axle from scratch !. 

maybe not as far fetched as it first seems. I guess it’s all down to what you are intending to do with it once built  🤷‍♂️.  

To high for operating and loading dave

1 hour ago, topchippyles said:

To high for operating and loading dave

Deck on the Trakmet sits at 840mm when set up on level ground an Ifor tri axle floor is at approx 650mm when level, well my 14ft tri axle is. My self build woodlands trailer was higher than the ifor too. If crane is loading it would not be so bad. Like I say no one machine will tick every box but it is an option I’d say. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Deck on the Trakmet sits at 840mm when set up on level ground an Ifor tri axle floor is at approx 650mm when level, well my 14ft tri axle is. My self build woodlands trailer was higher than the ifor too. If crane is loading it would not be so bad. Like I say no one machine will tick every box but it is an option I’d say. 

Could always get a good hound dog to help 😁

1057155339_Muttleytwirly.gif.97e712fd791486f46f58aea09ebe3429.gif

10 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Guy I work with has just bought this, lovely bit of kit. You are right in a lot of what you say, unfortunately you need about 5-6 bits of kit to tick every box🤷‍♂️

3BD9AB77-8A12-46D2-A4FF-FF044E6A504B.jpeg

8FF3996B-C5DD-41CE-9A59-7523A8EB0E31.jpeg

That's exactly what I'm talking about! Great bit's of kit these! I priced one up- came out at about £14K+VAT. This is what I was wondering about linking together with the Logosol mill. If you played it right you could have the mill be demountable so that you could use the trailer and crane for collecting logs...

5 minutes ago, thomasvdb7 said:

That's exactly what I'm talking about! Great bit's of kit these! I priced one up- came out at about £14K+VAT. This is what I was wondering about linking together with the Logosol mill. If you played it right you could have the mill be demountable so that you could use the trailer and crane for collecting logs...

Weight of that trailer and hiab would be pushing 2 ton so legally you would not get many logs on there.