how far do you let it go?

manco

so how far do you let it go when a casual labourer keeps calling in sick and letting you down for jobs?

major pain in the arse cos theres only me and him.

hes a likeable enough lad but this is getting too many times now.

usually says hes been throwing up. this time its feeling dizzy which im suspecting is a result of the pub yesterday and just didnt want to work today

but where do you find the replacement if you kick him up the road?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, manco said:

so how far do you let it go when a casual labourer keeps calling in sick and letting you down for jobs?

usually says hes been throwing up. this time its feeling dizzy which im suspecting is a result of the pub yesterday and just didnt want to work today

Just tell him you cannot operate like this as you need someone more reliable and find someone else. Got rid of one bloke after a week once and another within a month, one was a very good worker but would call in sick then I found out he wasn’t actually sick but taking time off for other reasons. 

Edited by Vedhoggar
  • Sad 1

On 18/05/2021 at 13:16, manco said:

Get the word out there that your looking for some one else to work with you as a 3 man team, if the guy you have working with you hears about it he just may buck his ideas up, i once was in a very simulare situation and i told the lad working with us that we where not working friday as i had 5 lads to interview, but un be known to him i had a subby lad lined up for monday onwards for several wk, but when monday came there seemed to be a bit more go about the lad and that week he never moaned or asked what time we where going home, after this he never missed a day or asked to go home early or start late for near on a month, you can not run a business with unreliable staff it just dont work, you need things to mend up and have good reliable staff its a pain in the arse and finding good reliable lads today is getting harder as not many want to get there hands dirty, Good luck,,

• Like 5

i think its trying to decide how much i believe the claims of being sick

im looking for a third, it will make a difference and from 3 down to 2 for a day is a lot better than just on my own.

its the usual story, when do you start getting fed up of the sick days and excuses. dont wanna knock someone with genuine health problems but i need reliability.

• Like 1

I have employed hundreds of workers over 20 years in manufacturing. I learnt to bin off young unreliable workers that typically lived with mum and dad, got pissed up at the weekend and didn't give a toss about the business.

If a strong man to man chat has no effect then working bloody hard for a few weeks knowing you are by yourself or with a smaller team is often more palatable than putting trust in a time waster.

My advice is to always have a few likely employees you keep in touch with so if your guy starts letting you down, you can bin them off and move on fast.

On the other side, if you get a good one, spend time with them, give them bonuses for ideas, hard work, finishing jobs well, clean and early as employment cuts both ways!

• Like 7