Any ideas ??

Johnsond

On 16/05/2021 at 11:19, Kevm said:

To have survived subsea for any time that rod would have to be 316 stainless which (I am guessing) was very rare during wartime and would only be used for something submerged subsea constantly, no point putting stainless components on an aero engine.

My guess is it is nothing to do with the aero engine and it probably fell off a small fishing boat - part of a creel winch or something fishing related.

Possibly but if stuff is in the mud and buried ie not exposed to o2 then things tend to last a lot better and also a factor is the majority of the plane will be aluminium which will act as an Anode to any more noble metals nearby, ie the conrods were like new. 

• Like 1

I don't know of anything really in aircraft that's made of standard steel. I appreciate things were tight during the war but they wouldn't skimp on aircraft components. If something was regular steel then it would have been heavily coated. Planes corrode like hell. Wouldn't last a week in the air if it was iron/carbon steel. 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I don't know of anything really in aircraft that's made of standard steel. I appreciate things were tight during the war but they wouldn't skimp on aircraft components. If something was regular steel then it would have been heavily coated. Planes corrode like hell. Wouldn't last a week in the air if it was iron/carbon steel. 

Surprisingly there is quite a bit of carbon steel in planes - one of the British Steel mills in Scunthorpe specifically serves the aerospace industry. I was asked where it went and the only place I have established specifically is in the landing gear.

Alec

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Surprisingly there is quite a bit of carbon steel in planes - one of the British Steel mills in Scunthorpe specifically serves the aerospace industry. I was asked where it went and the only place I have established specifically is in the landing gear.

Alec

I assume that's for the Oleo? They have a super thick layer of chrome on them though. I was on about general components that are exposed. Flight controls, actuators and stuff, they're pretty much all corrosion resistant steel, the fasteners are cadmium coated on top of being stainless too 👍

They do use carbon steel in springs (obviously). Nickel steel in Pins and keys etc, Chromium in bearings. Most steel is chrome molybdenum now as it has a good tensile strength without the corrosion. It may not be classed as stainless but most (nearly all) is an alloy steel of some form.