Experienced Groundie Rates

Treeezzz

44 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Doctors start on about £40k after a 6 year degree.

We aren’t doctors.

I’m all for more money for everyone, but the only way to earn a small fortune in arb is to start with a large one!

You say that but local companies to me are offering £12-£14 an hour for employed cleaners, own car but everything else supplied. If all you need for that is a driving licence for £119 a day or £31,178 there's no reason why you shouldn't be on 36-40k depending on location to run an arb team with all the tickets and experience? 

• Like 1

Of course we should be on that Paddy, I totally agree.

The problem is that the bottom feeders drag the price down and we all suffer.

The shitbags can’t compete on quality arb work, but a lot of what we do is pretty simple.

Medium sycamore takedown with a decent dropzone?

Easy day for 3 running 3 loads.

Are they going to take my £800 or the £450 bid by the new college boys who have had a new chipper for their birthday?

We will both leave a tidy site with everything gone.

The college boys haven’t got insurance yet, but it’s something they will definitely get round to.

The public are generally ignorant, they don’t give a toss.

The £450 wins all day.

Who can blame them?

Everyone likes saving money.

I’ve been doing this for a while and avoid the ‘cheapest quote wins’ bunch as best as I can, but it’s taken a long time.

I freely admit I was the college boy once as well.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Self employed groundy,no tickets,all gear supplied £40-£45 per hour here in Norway. 

Climbers £55 -£70 per hour.

The work is not very hard,bulk of the work comes in from April to December.

The money is there but your going to have to chase it.

• Like 1

Of course we should be on that Paddy, I totally agree.
The problem is that the bottom feeders drag the price down and we all suffer.

The shitbags can’t compete on quality arb work, but a lot of what we do is pretty simple.

Medium sycamore takedown with a decent dropzone?
Easy day for 3 running 3 loads.
Are they going to take my £800 or the £450 bid by the new college boys who have had a new chipper for their birthday?

We will both leave a tidy site with everything gone.

The college boys haven’t got insurance yet, but it’s something they will definitely get round to.

The public are generally ignorant, they don’t give a toss.
The £450 wins all day.

Who can blame them?
Everyone likes saving money.

I’ve been doing this for a while and avoid the ‘cheapest quote wins’ bunch as best as I can, but it’s taken a long time.

I freely admit I was the college boy once as well.

You won’t win all the quotes but by building a reputation in your area you will win on that, i’ve won several bids where they just don’t trust the low ball quote to do a good job, several others where i’ve been the most expensive but could talk to the client and explain/answer questions.
So many tree guys rock up,
Hi,
That one over there?
£400 that
leave

You have to sell what you do ( im and ex sales rep so easy for me)

We do prob 35% tree work as we also do garden timber builds and garden rooms are filling a good chunk of the diary, the chippy i use gets £200 a day, comparable tool kit to me.
Tree guys, i have a climber i use at £130 but regularly over pay as he is good (he set his rate not me)
Basic grounds guy if they can use a saw at least to feed to chipper and undo a knot for rigging £100+

If matey boy the author went teamed up with a climber mate he could easily start his own setup so worth holding onto him.

It’s hard to move up the pay ranks and stay at the same firm, move companies, then you can jump pay groups not crawl by £1 an hour her £10 a day there.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Was close your honour.

That’s why I was asking the op. As I had a license just like the op, then the ddvla added the 107 at the end (this was covered in a thread before). 

I don’t mine what license he has, it’s was just to educate the op, so he doesn’t get nabbed by the cops at some point in time. 

btw you can drag a bigger trailer with the appropriate vehicle but your total limit is 8.25 afairc with that code 107

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Doctors start on about £40k after a 6 year degree.

We aren’t doctors.

This is my second oldest daughters prospects. She is due to start medical school later this year providing she gets three B's as per the conditional acceptance. 

Yes, £40k after 6 years but then that rises exponentially. You will never be out of a job, you'll never have to bust your balls (and back) and you get fancy letters at the start and end of your name. :D £120k a year before long is easily achievable, not bad, not great. 

• Like 1

I don't want to be rude, but man with that tickets and exp, must know his price in his area, unless he is no real passion in what he doing, another thing, I have seen many people (particularly council and other big organisation) with plenty tickets and exp and ohh god how useless they was, if u really good, employer will pay you maximum once u ask. Freelance is a way, to understand what u worth, I did it, never regret.Best teams I work with, all freelance guys, all team leaders for them self😎 Just contacted my friend he is around same area, min 250 a day, that about 150 after tax, isn't? 

Edited by Sviatoslav Tulin
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

This is my second oldest daughters prospects. She is due to start medical school later this year providing she gets three B's as per the conditional acceptance. 

Yes, £40k after 6 years but then that rises exponentially. You will never be out of a job, you'll never have to bust your balls (and back) and you get fancy letters at the start and end of your name. :D £120k a year before long is easily achievable, not bad, not great. 

Of course it will rise quickly, and they deserve every penny.

Not a job I could do, for sure.

No one is in arb for the money, just for the chicks and the likes.

24399C90-4B3C-4A7A-8FE9-112AB99C66D7.png

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Paul Cleaver said:

He is worth more Khriss but he is North West! About 120.00 is average but even as low as 100.00 is not uncommon :(

Thanks Paul, yeah 100 a day is probably the best I'd get unfortunately. There are other benefits to working there, but I'd say their wages are on the low side.. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, treevolution said:

Any team leader should be on around £40000 wage give or take the area you work. 

Cheers. 

I think the arb manager will be on 40k, the assistant arb manager on around 30k and the likes of me in the low 20's. 

The company is definitely paying at the lower end of things but there are other benefits to working there, such as it's 15 minutes away from my house to the depot.