Winch for trailer

Gav73

Managed to pick up an ex display model winch on the cheap as the box was knackered. I’m considering mounting it on my trailer to help pull the splitter onto it and to drag any big lumps of tree I might find that I can’t lift.

Anyone had an experience of fitting winches? Is there any suggestions on the battery size and set up?

I’m considering a separate battery to the one on the car rather than figuring out all the wiring to get it to the car battery.

so i have a removable atv winch for my trailer, got a mount made on headboard so it drops onto a towball to lock in on, see goodwinch for ideas

wiring is either easy or super akward,  for me its easy ish as i have two batterys and a split charge system so winch runs off aux batt

however if you can do some simple wiring, like run two cables its easy

get a live and earth run to rear somewhere convenient, either inside or out but inside is good, say in boot?

look up anderson sockets like recovery trucks use and stick one of those on end

get cables fitted from winch with mated one, ie male to female and just plug in when needed with vehicle running

can do some pics maybe if i can figure out how thurs evening.

• Like 2

get cables fitted from winch with mated one, ie male to female and just plug in when needed with vehicle running

That’s a thought I didn’t have and might be the option I use.

Thanks!

so i have a removable atv winch for my trailer, got a mount made on headboard so it drops onto a towball to lock in on, see goodwinch for ideas

wiring is either easy or super akward,  for me its easy ish as i have two batterys and a split charge system so winch runs off aux batt

however if you can do some simple wiring, like run two cables its easy

get a live and earth run to rear somewhere convenient, either inside or out but inside is good, say in boot?

look up anderson sockets like recovery trucks use and stick one of those on end

can do some pics maybe if i can figure out how thurs evening.

Very good. I have a land rover bumper and heavy duty winch which I was going to sell but am now considering retrofitting to my Ifor Williams as the bed is high and everything I buy seems to be wanked out and needs dragging up with a Come Along. I’m sure I can weld up a frame to replace the bumper and use that.[emoji1303]

its very handy having a winch on trailer and fed by decent power from anderson socket.

would say brace up wherever you anchor winch to well in all directions as the bending forces are scary, if my log splitter jockey wheel catches on a lip when pulling up taildoor and i dont stop winch immediatly you see trailer flex - cant imagine would take long to break something!

• Like 1

Definitely use an Anderson socket for charging but my main advice would be to go online and work out what size cable you need to run. Longer cables mean thicker gauges and I often find that the guage that comes with the winch isn't big enough unless you're mounting it 3ft from the battery like a 4x4