Wood Processor advice wanted (N.Ireland)

area51_for_psx

Hi guys

I cut firewood for my extended family. We use about 25tons very 3.5years. I got 50tons recently and seen that the guy has a wood processor and seems a great bit of kit. Halki pilke 42. So I have been looking about getting a processor myself to save my back. The Halki pilke gear is good but out of my price range. I have been looking at the Chinese imports like The Rima Rm7-20. Lots of these around that are rebadged and can be had for £6,000.

Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese imports? Or should I be trying to find a 2nd hand processor of another make? Not looking to spend much more than 6k

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks 

I would say dont buy a processor for that amount of use.

A 25T load would be about 2 days work for me & if you were local that would be about £800 to hire the processor & two operators.

I am sure you will have a local processor that will be able to offer similar or better rates.

Take into account running costs, purchase costs, depreciation and that your not doing the work (if you were it would take a lot longer than two days) its a no brainer.

Other option would be to buy a walking floor trailer load already split.

The cheap imports all seem to be quite low speed units.

The one you quote is particularly bad, still needing lots of manual work.

Its also sold under other names too.

Rima 

Rock 

Note how much movement the operator has to do, reach up to pull saw down, reach down to hold log, reach left to split log, reach to the side to move log, pull the log when partly cut ect ect. After doing that dance all day you will hurt. It will also seriously reduce the amount you can do in a day.

In the Rock video at 4.04 seconds watch how long it takes from touching the saw handle to do a full cycle to touch the handle again. Just a tad under 20 seconds. In that time I would do 4 cycles.

Are they better than a saw & axe yes.

But you might be better with a used professional unit or as I said hire in as you need it.

Also most are not road legal in the UK (not sure on Irish rules).

• Like 2

Just wouldn’t be cost effective. Wouldn’t save your back either if you’ve  got to manually lift some larger logs up. Either hire in as suggested or think about vertical splitter and circular saw which would be within your budget range but still it’s not a lot of wood to process over 2 years. 

Edited by Vedhoggar
  • Like 1

The Rima 30t is a nee model. Just one joystick to control that does everything . Weighs 1000kg and uses a Honda GX V-engine (or the Lifan equivalent)

I’m very tempted to get it. But it’s £8000 from Alibaba . That’s the unit price, shipping, tax and duty.

The RM-7 20t can be bought new for £5000 now. Also very tempting

Yeah I could get someone to process for me at around £50 per hour. But I’m thinking why not get a machine if I’ll still have machine in 10 years time since it shouldn’t have a hard life. 

I have telehandler for lifting logs so was planning on using it to feed the machine. The speed of the machine doesn’t matter too much just trying to save labour on my poor back lol 

thank you everyone for the replies I have a lot to think about. 

• Like 3

On 12/05/2021 at 22:26, area51_for_psx said:

Yeah I could get someone to process for me at around £50 per hour. But I’m thinking why not get a machine if I’ll still have machine in 10 years time since it shouldn’t have a hard life. 

I have telehandler for lifting logs so was planning on using it to feed the machine. The speed of the machine doesn’t matter too much just trying to save labour on my poor back lol 

thank you everyone for the replies I have a lot to think about. 

The cheap ones have you moving in odd ways so the back will still have issues.

If you cant keep it in a large dry shed it wont last 10 years especially the cheaper imports.

You will also have quite large running costs over that 10 years too.

Even just chains & bar lube add up quick never mind the fuel.

(made up numbers of top of head) That £50 per hour will have about £10 per hour or more just for the chains oils & fuel. Another £10 for maintenance & another £10 for the cost of buying / replacing the machine. You will still have those costs too so only saving the labour element by doing it yourself.

The smaller cheaper ones are also still quite hands on / manual work.

Which ever way you go good luck.