Which saws you using?

RyWiley

43 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

No budget is not the priority imo.

There’s not that much difference in cost for the pro saws.

There was a thread on here that I can’t find. ONLY 3 SAWS or the like.

Stihl 201

husky 550

husky 576.

meant budget to determine how many to buy

are we talking just 2 saws or lets get a whole bunch

550 and 576 both a good call and decent saws that tackle a lot

used the 201 less so im not as familiar as with the 540

i havent found much my 576 wont take on with a good bar and chain

19 hours ago, RyWiley said:

What saws are everyone using? I'm looking to buy my first few saws to start up on my own and have always had stihl. I'm thinking initially MS201, and MS461 before getting a 661 in the future. Anyone have any preferences on some of the husky saws? I've been climbing for years but somehow never used husky anywhere. 

Any advice appreciated!

A friend who is Stihl loyal has moved over to their battery saws for all but the bigger stuff. Loves them. Saying that, he was inspired onto electric when a guy brought a Husky battery tophandle to his woods to do some climbing work for him. 

I think my ideal set up would probably be MSA161 and 220 for climbing work and smaller stuff. Battery stuff up in trees makes sense to me. 261 or 550xp for medium use. 500i for stuff above that. 

My large local dealer in North Wales who sells Stihl and Husqvarna says he has more Huskys in the shop for repairs, and every time I go in mentions that they require their own 2 stroke oil - hinting to that being a negative, they're more high maintenance etc etc. Maybe people just don't know how to look after their gear...

6 minutes ago, Meds said:

A friend who is Stihl loyal has moved over to their battery saws for all but the bigger stuff. Loves them. Saying that, he was inspired onto electric when a guy brought a Husky battery tophandle to his woods to do some climbing work for him. 

I think my ideal set up would probably be MSA161 and 220 for climbing work and smaller stuff. Battery stuff up in trees makes sense to me. 261 or 550xp for medium use. 500i for stuff above that. 

My large local dealer in North Wales who sells Stihl and Husqvarna says he has more Huskys in the shop for repairs, and every time I go in mentions that they require their own 2 stroke oil - hinting to that being a negative, they're more high maintenance etc etc. Maybe people just don't know how to look after their gear...

I don’t think the new Stihl and husqvarna saws are made to the same quality as the old saws. In  my opinion the old ones was made to last the new ones build quality isn’t the same I don’t no what other folks think but in my opinion quality has gone down hill and the price of things has gone through the roof. I don’t think we buy the same quality. Don’t no what you guys think. 👍 

1 minute ago, Patrick goulding said:

I don’t think the new Stihl and husqvarna saws are made to the same quality as the old saws. In  my opinion the old ones was made to last the new ones build quality isn’t the same I don’t no what other folks think but in my opinion quality has gone down hill and the price of things has gone through the roof. I don’t think we buy the same quality. Don’t no what you guys think. 👍 

Certainly faster and lighter and less vibes . If you are cutting full time in the woods you just buy another in 12 months or so . So yes maybe don't last as long but I would sooner use a modern saw for a year than use an older one for 2 years . just me ...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Patrick goulding said:

Most new saws are better than the older ones.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Patrick goulding said:

It could be that. Or perhaps in their competition to get the most power out of their saws, they lose reliability in the process..?

Another guy I met with a shop in Gwynedd started stocking Echo and reported to me that they virtually never come back for repair. If you look at their performance stats, relatively speaking them seem undertuned (the 501sx for example has only 3.5hp compared to Stihl/Husqy 50cc saws at 4hp). Perhaps this explains their reported reliability...

• Like 1

Just now, Meds said:

It could be that. Or perhaps in their competition to get the most power out of their saws, they lose reliability in the process..?

Another guy I met with a shop in Gwynedd started stocking Echo and reported to me that they virtually never come back for repair. If you look at their performance stats, relatively speaking them seem undertuned (the 501sx for example has only 3.5hp compared to Stihl/Husqy 50cc saws at 4hp). Perhaps this explains their reported reliability...

Yes . They are like 2/3 series Huskeys .