Is it possible to remove a few knives on a pto chipper to get larger chip size?

Malscral

Hello, I need to chip brash and smaller hedgewood for a gasifying log stove. The fine wood chip is not good in these stoves, but the bigger chip from a screw chipper is very good. A big screw chipper is beyond my budget and tractor hp. If a pto drum chipper (fed by a grab) can produce bigger chip, then that would be my amswer, I think? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Malscral said:

Hello, I need to chip brash and smaller hedgewood for a gasifying log stove. The fine wood chip is not good in these stoves, but the bigger chip from a screw chipper is very good. A big screw chipper is beyond my budget and tractor hp. If a pto drum chipper (fed by a grab) can produce bigger chip, then that would be my amswer, I think? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

have you considered branch loggers?

14 minutes ago, Malscral said:

Thanks.Nice tool. I was hoping to feed in tops with a grab and make full use of all the material down to the twigs. I fear some sort of chopping rotor will have to be employed..but not chopping so fine as usual

They will cut the tops too. I was making charcoal with that lot so took all the spray off but you can feed the lot through. This was my first branch logger with only a small capacity but you can get much bigger versions than this 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you removed any blades from a drum chipper it would end up smashing the blade holders I would think. It's definitely not something I would try. For bigger chip you want a bigger sieve and faster infeed.

1 hour ago, gdh said:

If you removed any blades from a drum chipper it would end up smashing the blade holders I would think. It's definitely not something I would try. For bigger chip you want a bigger sieve and faster infeed.

Yes, I think that would be the problem. Faster feed rollers definitely.