Plumbing stuff.

difflock

My father was an advocate of "Boss White" on bigger compression fittings, he figured the lubrication from the linseed oil was as significent in getting them properly torqued up as was the sealing effect of the clay fines. I still got and use an ancient tin, though it needs freshened-up with Linseed oil.

P.S.

Plumber Mait is a non hardening compound  for bedding sanitary ware etc.

Not for compression plumbing fittings, at least per the wording on the tub I rescued from a skip!

P.P.S.

Being still a young man, I never ran across Imperial copper pipe before!

Back at it today.

Thanks all,

mth

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

I always keep a couple of imperial olives and a couple of end feed 22/34 solder fittings in the bag.

Real ball ache trying to do it the other way.

I wouldn't think about trying to use metric push fit on an imperial pipe. Sweat a changeover to metric on and push fit away.

It is possible to sweat a 22mm end feed onto a 3/4 but if you get it to hot it will fail.

• Thanks 1

I was trying to reuse some of the "oodles" of salvaged 3/4" copper, to save me buying any 22mm.

Purely to maintain the authentic integrity of the plumbing installation, you understand, nothing to do with being tight fisted at all, at all, at all.

I also turn my nose up at push fit fittings, horrible things, well the obtrusive bulky plastic bodied ones anyway.

I do like to look of the snazzy copper bodied Yorkshire push-fit fittings though.

Cheers again.

mth

24 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

Never use push fit myself except in vans. Never trusted them. End feed solder all the way.

Agree proper compression or end feed solder, just keep wire wool well away from the solder.