3120 Value?

AndyO

1 hour ago, AndyO said:

I did wonder about the the solid nose. Do you find it saps much power/wears quicker than a sprocket nose?

I don't know to be honest, i've hardly used it. It's so bulky and heavy that it's actually no fun to use at all.

Only thing i know with the hard nose is that it needs less chain tension or you can overheat and wear the bar quickly. I wouldn't choose to buy a hard nose personally. Maybe good for plunge cutting or dirty wood though?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AndyO said:

That seems a bargain. How long ago was that if you don’t mind me asking? We’re they still being sold new here?

Oh gosh , maybe 5 years ago ? As has been said above when its what you need it does the job but its not a lot of fun to use .  I prefer the 395 to be honest but I don't do any milling .  Also would not recommend a hard nosed bar . You have to run the chain slacker than a sprocket nosed . 

• Like 1

Oh gosh , maybe 5 years ago ? As has been said above when its what you need it does the job but its not a lot of fun to use .  I prefer the 395 to be honest but I don't do any milling .  Also would not recommend a hard nosed bar . You have to run the chain slacker than a sprocket nosed . 

I wonder if they have become like land rover defenders and went up in price now they aren’t being made?

I’ve got a 385 from 2001 and it’s the last saw I would part ways with. The build quality seems so much better on the older saws. We seem to wear out 550’s in a couple of years...
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, AndyO said:

I wonder if they have become like land rover defenders and went up in price now they aren’t being made?

I’ve got a 385 from 2001 and it’s the last saw I would part ways with. The build quality seems so much better on the older saws. We seem to wear out 550’s in a couple of years...

I guess it's a trade off for performance against durability. If you're a commercial cutter, being paid by the tonne, you're only expecting to get 18 months out of a saw, realistically. If that saw allows you to cut an extra tonne every day, 45 weeks a year, you've earned just over £5k more (assuming you're being paid £15/t). That pays for a great many saws and it's undeniable that new saws are a lot faster than their forebears. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, AndyO said:

They won't be like defenders because the saw started every time and never broke down . I used it once to fell a massive dead Red Wood and it was a bit like felling it with a small motorbike . 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stubby said:

They won't be like defenders because the saw started every time and never broke down . I used it once to fell a massive dead Red Wood and it was a bit like felling it with a small motorbike . 

Did you stop fr chips 😉 K

Another thing worth noting (when it comes to the debate of old versus new) is that the AV systems and fumes are so much more bearable with the newer generation of saws. I remember stepping up from a MS260 to a 550XP, and as well as gaining a chunk of power, my hands were in much better shape after a day of cutting. 

I always thought that the best policy for saws (if you're using them full time in forestry) is to hammer them for 9-12 months and then flog them on eBay and replace. You'll get 2/3 or 3/4 what you paid for them new, avoid those major mechanical issues that happen at that sort of hour count (1500hrs I'd guess) and get a nice shiny new saw to cover in sitka sap :D 

• Like 3