Mini chipper not chipping/pulling well

carsmarco252

If it's dull and pitted after one hour then the question is why has the edge gone. Once the sharpness is gone it's gone so won't drag in.

Were the edges burred when they were ground? I usually give new blades a tickle with a flat diamond sharpening pad before fitting, just to get them properly sharp. I've found that if you let them get even slightly blunt they quickly get really bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.... I ordered some brand new blades for my machine. Before fitting I compared the angles to the blades that I had reground and that were fitted on the machine when it wasn't pulling/chipping well. The angles were spot on and I rechecked the anvil gap before removing and that was still fine too. Anyway I refitted the brand new blades and its like a new machine again. Pulls branches out my hand so much so that it's difficult to hold them back when the engine slows down. I also noticed that the engine wasn't revving quite as high as it used to so I adjusted this very slightly too. Anyway I'm not sure if it was a dodgy set of resharpened blades but I have 2 more sets that I've had sharpened too so will try those at some point so I'm sure I will find out. 

• Like 3