Memory Loss

Billhook

Starting towards the end of last year, I began to notice  my ability to remember peoples names, business names and other things become poor.  I put it down to my age, 67, and tried  very hard to work at bringing those names to the surface by going through letters of the alphabet and trying to think of other links without reverting to the internet for prompts.  This was quite time consuming but mainly successful.  I then have noticed this phenomenon amongst people half my age. 

"What was the name of that firm that used to sharpen saws or the name of that guy who repairs computers," sort of questions that would have come up with an instant result 18 months ago.  Went down to the woods today with a very experienced and knowledgeable man of the woods and neither of us could remember the name of the Hornbeam tree we were looking at, although we were both very familiar with the species.  This really shook me.

I can remember complicated tunes and songs on the guitar and piano,  and even sing Tom Lehrer's "The Elements" without making a mistake., but this seems to be a different area of the brain's memory cells.

Have been wondering if this is the result of too much time on the computer and too little social interaction and a lot of time on your own with less stimulus from others.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

I have acquired loads of "stuff" over  the years. Generally I pride myself of knowing exactly where each random item is however from time to time I came across things I forgot I even had and there are plenty of times I can't find an object I know I have.

Is it not the same with peoples names etc? They are in your head somewhere but you just can't lay your hands on them so to speak.

I am a lot better with finding stuff than names. I regularly forget a name within minutes of being told (I actually find it embarrassing as calling someone by the wrong name is pretty insulting in my opinion)

Not sure if I am getting worse or not but regularly can't remember the name of something or can't think of a word I want to use. I'm 57, not sure if it is changing but I know I don't care much about it. Maybe I should.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not worth worrying about. Go to your gp and tell them. A few bloods, a memory assessment plus or minus a brain scan and then you can most likely put it behind you. Depression can present with short term memory problems, recall and concentration, as can thyroid problems, vitamin B12 issues and probably other stuff

• Like 5

Memory is a very weird thing.

I can forget names within 30 seconds yet recite Pogues lyrics perfectly from 30 years ago.

There’s a few on here that I’m sure could contribute a lot more than I can, but I can’t remember who they are!

Age is a factor, of course, but I don’t think it’s as simple as old age = bad memory.

There’s a lot more to it than that.

I’d value the opinion of the Village Idiot, but I can’t seem to tag him?

Appreciate it if someone could, I’ll forget tomorrow!

You’re not alone mate.

• Like 5

Someone said I have a form of dispraxia (?)... I can remember some stuff with absolute clarity yet other details are lost within seconds!  I rely on diary prompts to remind me of birthdays, I cannot remember postcodes from looking them up to swapping screens to the maps, I've never remembered what shifts my son is working and keep a GreenMech price list with me at all times! I think I will be a nightmare later on too, but we all have faults......it is called "character ".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Billhook said:

Starting towards the end of last year, I began to notice  my ability to remember peoples names, business names and other things become poor.  I put it down to my age, 67, and tried  very hard to work at bringing those names to the surface by going through letters of the alphabet and trying to think of other links without reverting to the internet for prompts.  This was quite time consuming but mainly successful.  I then have noticed this phenomenon amongst people half my age. 

"What was the name of that firm that used to sharpen saws or the name of that guy who repairs computers," sort of questions that would have come up with an instant result 18 months ago.  Went down to the woods today with a very experienced and knowledgeable man of the woods and neither of us could remember the name of the Hornbeam tree we were looking at, although we were both very familiar with the species.  This really shook me.

I can remember complicated tunes and songs on the guitar and piano,  and even sing Tom Lehrer's "The Elements" without making a mistake., but this seems to be a different area of the brain's memory cells.

Have been wondering if this is the result of too much time on the computer and too little social interaction and a lot of time on your own with less stimulus from others.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

I look at memory as a bucket of water . Over the years memories get poured into the bucket . Eventually the bucket becomes full . You can reach down and retrieve the memories that are in the bottom but as the bucket is full all new memories  just spill over the top as you pour them in .  I get what you get and I am 68 ...I think .

• Like 4

Yes now I think about it, it was always names of people that went straight in one ear and out of the other.  Being introduced to a group of people at a party or a business meeting.  I think in those cases you are so busy assessing the person you are looking at and making quick judgements that the brain side lines the less important name.

But the Hornbeam incident really made me think as it is a solitary tree on the farm road here and at this time of year looks just like a beech and I try to catch people out with it, but just managed this time to catch myself out!

Some telephone numbers and all my bank statements and bank codes I remember well

Yesterday a girl in the bank asked for my banking pass code number and I just reeled it off straight away  " Oh dear, she said I only wanted the last two digits and now I am going to have to send you another number .in the post"

I am really on about something a little different.  I just notice it more with other people at the moment, people who I am sure would have remembered the name a year ago, a bit like " What is the name of that site on the web that talks about trees!"

"It's on the tip of my tongue, I'll think of it in a minute!"

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I often think my memory has reached maximum capacity. I tell folk I have to forget old stuff to be able to remember new stuff, and I’m 39! 😂 

I’m not sure the years of going raving and chomping down pills has helped my cause unfortunately. I didn’t stop to think about at the time as I was young and foolish and having a good time. I’m sure me and my friends will all be effected by it at some point.

On a side note, a few years ago I noticed my old man started to repeat himself a lot. Sometimes he’d tell me the same same thing 2 or 3 times in an afternoon. I was a bit worried, but ultimately I think it’s just his age as he is 76. I mentioned it to my mum and she wasn’t bothered!

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 2