Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
James Royston

How long do planning conditions last?

Recommended Posts

Good evening everyone.

 

I'm dealing with a site at the moment which was granted planning permission back in 2002. One of the conditions is, "(8) Trees and hedges within or on the boundary of the site shall be neither felled, topped or lopped except with the prior written approval of the Local Planning Authority, nor shall they be damaged or killed by fire or by the application of toxic or injurious substances."

 

There's no timeframe mentioned, so I was just wondering if anyone knew whether or not such a planning condition could continue in perpetuity?

 

Cheers,

 

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James Royston said:

Good evening everyone.

 

I'm dealing with a site at the moment which was granted planning permission back in 2002. One of the conditions is, "(8) Trees and hedges within or on the boundary of the site shall be neither felled, topped or lopped except with the prior written approval of the Local Planning Authority, nor shall they be damaged or killed by fire or by the application of toxic or injurious substances."

 

There's no timeframe mentioned, so I was just wondering if anyone knew whether or not such a planning condition could continue in perpetuity?

 

Cheers,

 

James

As far as I’m aware the planning conditions only last until the development they are conditions of is completed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

As far as I’m aware the planning conditions only last until the development they are conditions of is completed. 

Yeah, that's what I thought too. But the LPA is saying otherwise, and I'm not a planning consultant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conditions that relate to tree retention are usually limited to 5 years but in this instance they will say that.  I.e. no trees within a period of 5 years of the completion of the development shal be .........etc.  Completion is when it is signed off by building control. 
 

I have seen conditions that say for the life of the development though and this means while the site is used in accordance with this planning app.  I know of a Leyland Cypress hedge that is protected in this way as it is part of a bat mitigation strategy.  It’s used for foraging. They do say for the life of the development though. 
 

They don’t necessarily all cease when the build is finished.  But they could possibly have appealed against the six tests?  Don’t know where you would go now though, planning consultant I suppose. Also, what is the penalty?  It isn’t stated in the above text. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

What was the planning permission for?

It was for the demolition and construction of a house - all completed years ago. It seems weird that a planning condition like this could continue forever into the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chris at eden said:

Conditions that relate to tree retention are usually limited to 5 years but in this instance they will say that.  I.e. no trees within a period of 5 years of the completion of the development shal be .........etc.  Completion is when it is signed off by building control. 
 

I have seen conditions that say for the life of the development though and this means while the site is used in accordance with this planning app.  I know of a Leyland Cypress hedge that is protected in this way as it is part of a bat mitigation strategy.  It’s used for foraging. They do say for the life of the development though. 
 

They don’t necessarily all cease when the build is finished.  But they could possibly have appealed against the six tests?  Don’t know where you would go now though, planning consultant I suppose. Also, what is the penalty?  It isn’t stated in the above text. 

 

I've seen the time limit ones before, as well as the 'for the life of the development', but this one has no timeframe. There's no mention of a penalty in the planning documents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, James Royston said:

I've seen the time limit ones before, as well as the 'for the life of the development', but this one has no timeframe. There's no mention of a penalty in the planning documents.

What exactly have the LPA said to you in relation to any proposed works? Unless they give you written confirmation of their reason for preventing any works, it’s not a CA and there aren’t any TPOs then I can’t see how you could get into any trouble by cracking on tbh. The house is built/I assume was signed off so no contravention of any planning permission.

Fire up the 660 and crack on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, monkeybusiness said:

What exactly have the LPA said to you in relation to any proposed works? Unless they give you written confirmation of their reason for preventing any works, it’s not a CA and there aren’t any TPOs then I can’t see how you could get into any trouble by cracking on tbh. The house is built/I assume was signed off so no contravention of any planning permission.

Fire up the 660 and crack on...

Haha, I like your style. But nobody is wanting to do anything at this stage, the owner just wants to know what's protected and what isn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, James Royston said:

Haha, I like your style. But nobody is wanting to do anything at this stage, the owner just wants to know what's protected and what isn't. 

I’d press the LPA for a definitive answer then personally. But that might force their hand into applying TPOs possibly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.