Larch price

trigger_andy

14 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

For such a large saw mill pontrilas are really expensive to the general public.

Roadside timber prices are a bit nutty at the moment for log. Daft really considering the generally low quality of UK grown softwood.

I was passing a builders supply today in Cullompton and noticed that they had a pack of timber in from Vida. They're a Swedish company - I passed one of their mills in October near Eksjö. It's absolutely enormous. When you consider that their roadside prices of excellent, slow grown log is only about 70% of what ours is, it's no wonder it's economical to ship it into the UK as a competitor for UK grown products.

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

Roadside timber prices are a bit nutty at the moment for log. Daft really considering the generally low quality of UK grown softwood.

I was passing a builders supply today in Cullompton and noticed that they had a pack of timber in from Vida. They're a Swedish company - I passed one of their mills in October near Eksjö. It's absolutely enormous. When you consider that their roadside prices of excellent, slow grown log is only about 70% of what ours is, it's no wonder it's economical to ship it into the UK as a competitor for UK grown products.

What do you put our low quality down to j ? Just planted to close together to force growth 

Its the Uk climate to warm to grow quality softwood as its wood has a non ring porous structure, where as UK is good for ring porous hardwoods eg ash as fast grown is better for thoose species.

Something like that anyways.

An observation that needs no elaboration is that trees of different species produce wood with different properties...

Edited by Stere
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

What do you put our low quality down to j ? Just planted to close together to force growth 

Grows far too fast for quality. For instance, there is a massive difference between the western red cedar grown here in Devon and the cedar I've cut in Morayshire. The growing season is too long, and in some instances, they never stop growing. 

Scandinavian trees have a clearly defined season of growth, with fairly hot summers and almost constant daylight. On the flipside, they also have a sustained period of inactivity each year during winter. 

Additionally, the constant wind that the UK is subjected to causes the trees to pack on a lot of reactionary growth, meaning they are much girthier for their height than their European and Scandinavian counterparts. This reactionary growth is full of tension. 

I think it was nearly 10 years ago now that they downrated UK growth sitka so that it cannot achieve a structural rating in excess of C16. 

Don't get me wrong, with the amount of eucalyptus I plant, I'm entirely in favour of having some fast grown crops, but we could do with a bit more high end softwood in this country. 

• Like 2

I sell Larch cladding by the square metre, and sometimes Western Red Cedar and Dougie Fir.  I charge £15 per square metre currently.  This is equivalent to £22.50 per cubic foot or £795 per cubic metre.  This is for rough sawn totally unseasoned timber.

I think I am fairly pricey, but this is what I need to charge to make it viable for me.

• Like 4

On 07/05/2021 at 22:38, Squaredy said:

I sell Larch cladding by the square metre, and sometimes Western Red Cedar and Dougie Fir.  I charge £15 per square metre currently.  This is equivalent to £22.50 per cubic foot or £795 per cubic metre.  This is for rough sawn totally unseasoned timber.

I think I am fairly pricey, but this is what I need to charge to make it viable for me.

I am the same, if I'm not getting  at least £750/m3 it's not worth my while milling it.  Folks who don't buy timber from anyone keep telling me I'm too expensive, but when I look at my order book I'm told a different story.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

"So, on to the most problematic thing that is said about home grown timber – especially our spruce: “It grows too fast, making it too low density, and unsuitable for construction”. This, very persistent, myth is a significant barrier to getting more home grown timber in construction, since it leads to perfectly suitable timber being rejected, and habitual over-specification. In reality, ring width, tree growth rate, density and strength are only loosely related. And because people repeat this myth a lot, we have addressed it several times before on this blog"

for more info see Edinburgh Napier Centre for Wood Science and their blog

• Like 3