Kiln charges

Simon Ward

3 hours ago, Simon Ward said:

Hi,I'm looking at purchasing a log kiln for contract drying for a company.But I'm having trouble finding out costings for providing this service and how the pricing works.

Can anybody give me some guidance and process costings please.

Fresh to 15% I think you would be £10 a cube maximum for the drying.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Simon Ward said:

Hi,I'm looking at purchasing a log kiln for contract drying for a company.But I'm having trouble finding out costings for providing this service and how the pricing works.

Can anybody give me some guidance and process costings please.

Hi you might just have to do this the old fashion way, and work this out for your self, the £10 a cube seems very cheap to me, but that depends on how much work you have to do plus your running costs ? 

are the logs loose or crated ? 

how big is the kiln ?

Do you have to load the kiln ?

what will you load it with ?

kiln running costs ? supplier should know this

it all adds up and before long you find out your doing it for nowt, been there and done that a few times over the years and now i sit down and work it all out before commiting to any thing,

Edited by spuddog0507

2 hours ago, gdh said:

Fresh to 15% I think you would be £10 a cube maximum for the drying.

You have the experience so I'll accept that figure.

When I was harvesting timber I reckoned it cost me about £2 per green tonne to do anything like moving it from stack to transport, perhaps I was being generous but with a "cube" of firewood containing say 0.5 tonne of green wood there's £1 spent getting it in and out of the Kiln, then there's the cost of energy to run the kiln. 

I suppose once it's in 1m3 containers that handling cost goes down a bit?

I take it with the £1 a cube, that the wood isn't split? £1 would be what, 4 minutes work with no equipment costs? If it arrives at you in a container to slide straight in a kiln that might be realistic, if you have to handball loose tipped split logs into the kiln / container to put in a kiln then your £1 looks too cheap. Equipment - if you have the machines to do the work standing idle and paid for by other work might be £10, if you are buying machinery and a kiln to dry logs, might not be but that will depend on how much you are contracted to dry (contracted the important part... if they don't deliver you can still get paid)

Only kilns installed up to October 2017 qualified for the non-domestic RHI

We as a company supplied many log boilers that were linked with thermal stores and hot air blowers in the kiln under this scheme.

Since then we have developed the wet boilers to a hot air blower for kiln drying application and space heating.

Please see the following for more information and case studies for the installer we are working with on these projects;

Hot Air Space and Process Heating | Ember air | Carlisle

https://www.facebook.com/EmberAir

Guy Winterbourne

Eco Angus Ltd

ECOANGUS.CO.UK

Eco Angus Wood Burning Boilers - Simple Solutions for Greener Heating

• Like 2