Who's still burning?

I had both stoves going all day yesterday.  Not because it was super cold, although it wasn't warm, but to warm the house back up after a few days away.  Burning some 20 month seasoned pine and some of its a bit resinous and nuclear.  I had one stove at 450C on the flue temp after one reload. It's survived though, thankfully!  I'm trying to do more frequent reloads of a single log at a time since 2 can just be too much.  Back to single stove evening ops until the weekend but the look.

• Like 1

I've had about four fires so far this Autumn here in Southern Ireland, its ridiculously mild for the time of year, which makes me worry about the Spring, I seem to recall it being mild this time last year also. There's some incredible colour on the trees at present and local "talk" says it's an indicator of things to come..

Wood wise, I've about 12 Stere laid in store, a mixture of Oak, Ash, Beech, and Birch with a modicum of Cedar (not sure which, it's either Deodar or Macro) too, this should last us into March but we'll be a bit stuck if it's like earlier this year. We have no CH either, so thats not an option.

I do also have a full 2 Stere of Yew but it's only recently felled and split, so that might not be dry enough to use for a good while, although I'm told it burns incredibly hot when dry. I've three or four smallish Holm/Evergreen Oak trees to fell in the next month or so however, so that may tide me over, it burns green but obviously I'd prefer it seasoned.

Most excitingly, I've a good pile of fruiting cherry which I'm holding back for Christmas Day - we have a wood-fired Stanley no 9 stove (much like a Rayburn or Aga) and the cherry will be used to cook the Beef, the oven has a minor smoke leak 🤤🤤

• Like 4

6 hours ago, neiln said:

I had both stoves going all day yesterday.  Not because it was super cold, although it wasn't warm, but to warm the house back up after a few days away.  Burning some 20 month seasoned pine and some of its a bit resinous and nuclear.  I had one stove at 450C on the flue temp after one reload. It's survived though, thankfully!  I'm trying to do more frequent reloads of a single log at a time since 2 can just be too much.  Back to single stove evening ops until the weekend but the look.

Wow, 450c! 😮

I haven’t had much luck trying to burn a single log at a time before. Two or more always seem to burn much better. However, I’d imagine with your stove being Defra approved, it can’t be shut down after a certain point.

Edited by Dazza95

1 hour ago, Dazza95 said:

Wow, 450c! 😮

I haven’t had much luck trying to burn a single log at a time before. Two or more always seem to burn much better. However, I’d imagine with your stove being Defra approved, it can’t be shut down after a certain point.

That is the issue, can't shut it down to slow it.  It runs at ramming speed only.  Like wise 1 log often doesn't burn well but if I reload early 1 can work.  Only trouble is this super dry but resinous pine...I put one on earlier and still hit 420C!  It was a super knotty piece, fatwood.

56 minutes ago, Big J said:

I have it from a reliable source that the next month or so is to be dominated by high pressure, so cold weather ahead. I'm no Peckerwoo (weather forecasting oracle that he was, sadly AWOL), but confidence is high :D

Clutch at these J 😀   

Dont hold much merit in long term forecasts myself but hope you are right all the same

images.jpg

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...