Who's still burning?

Not before October here and cannot light it as I've just cleaned it out, swept the chimney and put the stove on its back to free up the air control leers which jam up with ash over time.

Also spent half a day fabrication the first of two hot air manifolds to direct some heat into the adjacent room after passing through a duct under the stairs and a 150W ventilation fan.

I tried it last year and it worked well, albeit the fan is a bit intrusive, so I decide to engineer it a bit better.
That sounds like a really good.idea. Got any pictures?

8 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

That's obscene J!

No heating is even discussed in this house before November 🥶 

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Not before October here and cannot light it as I've just cleaned it out, swept the chimney and put the stove on its back to free up the air control leers which jam up with ash over time.

Also spent half a day fabrication the first of two hot air manifolds to direct some heat into the adjacent room after passing through a duct under the stairs and a 150W ventilation fan.

I tried it last year and it worked well, albeit the fan is a bit intrusive, so I decide to engineer it a bit better.

It's back on again this morning :D

6c outside and 18c in the living room. I prefer 21c. It helps that I probably have more firewood than I can realistically burn this winter and I'm not taking it to Sweden with me.

9 hours ago, sime42 said:
10 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Read more  

That sounds like a really good.idea. Got any pictures?

manifold1.thumb.jpeg.de643bee9b6c6e0cd129c5adf53350f3.jpeg

This is the manifold, it's made from an aluminium extrusion I have had for years. I tried to anneal it  but some of the tabs I tried to bend as locating lugs broke. I only had a 50mm concrete core drill so that hole is a bit messy. It now locates over the convection vent with a tab at the back and one into the front of the slot, slightly sprung to hold it firm. I only have a DC TIG/stick welder so cannot weld it up but I don't think that will matter much. It took me about 4 hours of fiddling, making the mirror image one for the other side should be quicker.

manifold2.thumb.jpeg.5ca1613740a5927d5a64974ab6a8349b.jpeg

2" flexible exhaust I had used last year carries the hot air through the brickwork and then down to floor level under the stairs to the fan.

I'll stee how it goes and then do any modifications before painting it all black with car exhaust paint.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Are you definitely going J?  Have I missed that in another thread somewhere?

Yup. 

We're in Sweden next month. We might possibly buy a house when we're there, we have a tour of the school the girls will go to, meeting a few different work contacts, have started selling machines/vehicles and reducing outgoings and commitments. It's rather liberating, and nice to have the time to plan. We rushed moving to Devon because of our older daughter starting school, with the whole process from the decision being made to moving only taking 6 months. This time, we'll have had almost 3 years by the time we go. 

Edited by Big J
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Big J said:

Yup. 

We're in Sweden next month. We might possibly buy a house when we're there, we have a tour of the school the girls will go to, meeting a few different work contacts, have started selling machines/vehicles and reducing outgoings and commitments. It's rather liberating, and nice to have the time to plan. We rushed moving to Devon because of our older daughter starting school, with the whole process from the decision being made to moving only taking 6 months. This time, we'll have had almost 3 years by the time we go. 

Fair play to you J - very best wishes for future success 👍🏻

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

manifold1.thumb.jpeg.de643bee9b6c6e0cd129c5adf53350f3.jpeg

This is the manifold, it's made from an aluminium extrusion I have had for years. I tried to anneal it  but some of the tabs I tried to bend as locating lugs broke. I only had a 50mm concrete core drill so that hole is a bit messy. It now locates over the convection vent with a tab at the back and one into the front of the slot, slightly sprung to hold it firm. I only have a DC TIG/stick welder so cannot weld it up but I don't think that will matter much. It took me about 4 hours of fiddling, making the mirror image one for the other side should be quicker.

manifold2.thumb.jpeg.5ca1613740a5927d5a64974ab6a8349b.jpeg

2" flexible exhaust I had used last year carries the hot air through the brickwork and then down to floor level under the stairs to the fan.

I'll stee how it goes and then do any modifications before painting it all black with car exhaust paint.

Thank you. That looks good. Did you choose aluminium for its excellent conductivity? Actually, I guess you are gathering the heat predominantly via convection, is that right?

Very impressed you managed to cut that hole with a core drill!
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sime42 said:

Thank you. That looks good. Did you choose aluminium for its excellent conductivity?

No I chose it because that was what I had to hand and I only had to do a few hacksaw cuts to re-purpose it.

Actually, I guess you are gathering the heat predominantly via convection, is that right?

The stove has a double skin which heat rises through and normally gets emitted into the room, this device should pick that up and divert it into the next room as well as be heated by the top surface by conduction.

Very impressed you managed to cut that hole with a core drill!

Yes that was a lazy mistake, I should have chain drilled the circles.

manifold3.thumb.jpeg.297db597dd9cdedd78522c096b39fae7.jpeg