Who's still burning?

Still going.  Just a few hours of an evening but the forecast is for another week of drizzly greyness so I'll use more yet.  Really glad that I had a good summer for scrounging last year.  Managed to make a couple of new contacts through WFH, hearing saws and walking out to say hello, then got loads dropped off.  Plus a couple of neighbours took oaks down. I scrounged about 25 cube over the last 12-14 months.  So despite burning more then normal I've good stocks.  It's good to be 2 years up right now.

Speaking to a Met office forecaster friend this morning, the weather situation of the past 8 weeks or so has been caused by a stubbornly persistent Greenland High, which has pushed the jet stream way to the south. In the last week or two, the High has moved off to the NW slightly, allowing a trough to develop across the south of the UK, bringing back an Atlantic influence, albeit with temperatures well below average. 

I love cold weather, but the heavy rain is horrendous. My wife was just out in the garden briefly with my younger daughter trying to plant sunflowers, but it's just started torrentially raining again and they've legged it back inside.

• Like 2

not lighting woodburner recently , got plenty of dry wood , weather bloody wet and cool here and generally horrible !!   went for my first dive of the year this week ( much later than usual ) not a pleasant experience but enjoyed scallops and crab ......

Yes, been flippin cold in the evening....hornbeam fires....very nice!

Ahhh now I’ve got a shed load of hornbeam for next year split and seasoning Spudders , does it burn easily or need mixing ? I’m guessing from the density it should burn HOT hot Hot IMG_1621090154.543098.jpg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Treerover said:

Ahhh now I’ve got a shed load of hornbeam for next year split and seasoning Spudders , does it burn easily or need mixing ? I’m guessing from the density it should burn HOT hot Hot IMG_1621090154.543098.jpg

Its nuclear ! 👍

Lit the stove here (Warwickshire) once in the last week and we probably would have done again last night, but were out and about until gone 9, by which time it didn’t feel worth it.

I find we’re at that stage where it’s a tiny bit on the cool side when the CH goes off, but if we light the stove it makes the lounge too hot. We’ve got a stove fan but it doesn’t help getting the warm air out of the lounge and circulating in the rest of the house.

Incidentally getting the oil tank filled up was a more unpleasant £££ experience than this time last year :-(. Maybe I should be burning more logs after all!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, djbobbins said:

Incidentally getting the oil tank filled up was a more unpleasant £££ experience than this time last year :-(. Maybe I should be burning more logs after all!

Indeed. Last year, we paid 18p/litre. Had the tank filled last week and it was up to 42p. We started using the central heating in the evenings,  but the cold really seem to set in yesterday so the stove was lit once again.