Who's still burning?

Creativity needed. I'm in South London, zone 3, typical '30s semi, so not tiny garden but not acres either.

Old and collapsing garden shed with internal dimensions of 6'6" X 8'6" filled solid holds about 9-9.5 m³.  Front South having wall of the house gets stacked to window sill height and 2 rows deep making another 3.5-4 m³ and finally a pallet wide stack as high as the fence down one side of the back garden, pallets under and tarp over, another 15-16m³.  That all looks quite tidy in my eyes, although the logs awaiting processing piled beside the patio or strewn on the small front garden don't I admit!

2.5 average winter's worth of wood if everything is full, although I think most I've ever got to is about 24-25m³.

Just up, living room is 17c and the fire is lit. That'll get it up to about 21c and we'll perhaps light it again once this evening. 

The average temperature outside is only 6c at the moment, so it's unrealistic not to have some form of heating.

• Like 1

So old and creaky now that I need a red hot Radox bath each evening to relax my aching muscles!  Been very cold here in Lincolnshire with North NE and NW winds,  even the swallows came and then disappeared shortly afterwards.  Very few insects about.

My wife lights the Aarrow Stratford each morning, so easy with the branch loggings after I have brought them in the night before together with enough firewood for the day. We both really enjoy the whole process.

Wood heat is so easy to enjoy as you have done all the work and now is your reward, unlike oil, electric and gas where you will receive a big bill eventually for the same amount of heat!

• Like 6

Never know such a chilly spring. The pick up in May is only because the nights are warmer due to cloud cover 

Average temp 

March 7.2C

April    7.1C

May     8.1C 

And yes we are still burning

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Never know such a chilly spring. The pick up in May is only because the nights are warmer due to cloud cover 

Average temp 

March 7.2C

April    7.1C

May     8.1C 

And yes we are still burning

Same here. I can't even remember it ever being this cold in spring in Scotland. I'm working at Minehead at the moment, and the constant rain and 9c really makes you feel like it's November.

• Like 3

Our Charnwood inset boiler is the only heat source for the whole bungalow, and hot water. We have an electric shower, so don't need fire for that, and only use immersion very rarely for hot water. Looking good for next year's wood ( it's awaiting logging to length, splitting and stacking in shed ) but we've just about used two year's worth of wood in one, and have very little left ready to burn.

A combination of a long cold spell or three, and the wife being home all day due to various flavours of lockdown have been disastrous. 

The stove will run on coal, which is a more attractive option than buying bags in from log suppliers, at the rate we are using it. It's been a blessed relief these past weeks, being able to reduce log usage, but I'm still lighting it every morning. 

I have run out of wood now! ... so had to go & buy some Eco Logs yesterday to keep me going so I can have a wee fire in the evening. Going to cut a load of wood today & start filling my log store for this winter. 

Edited by Logdaft