Transit uprated springs?

Paddy1000111

Had 2+1 on my Mk6 transit, when it was full

of chip would sit 3-4” lower. Didnt seem to

raise the rear body height to much and ride

was pretty good still. Have got 3+1 on my Mk7, doesn’t seem to sit any lower with weight in it. Rear body height is quite a bit higher than the 2’s and it is a lot bumpier while driving.

• Like 1

So you would say 3+1 is too much? I guess 2+1 would be fine. 

I'm not worried about the ride height and stuff. I'm more worried about the springs not being upside down over speed bumps and stuff. Today I took down a small conifer (20ft) and just chucked all the branches in the back with 4 rounds of 17"x12" timber and the springs are almost flat. I'd suggest it probably weighs 3400 ish loaded as it is 

8 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I'm not worried about the ride height and stuff. I'm more worried about the springs not being upside down over speed bumps and stuff. Today I took down a small conifer (20ft) and just chucked all the branches in the back with 4 rounds of 17"x12" timber and the springs are almost flat. I'd suggest it probably weighs 3400 ish loaded as it is 

Another option is a " helper spring " It is a half leaf that only comes into play when the load goes up . In normal ( empty ) conditions it does not do anything .

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Another option is a " helper spring " It is a half leaf that only comes into play when the load goes up . In normal ( empty ) conditions it does not do anything .

Is that different to the 2+1 springs where theres 2 leave springs and an additional helper spring on the bottom that goes unused? 

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Is that different to the 2+1 springs where theres 2 leave springs and an additional helper spring on the bottom that goes unused? 

The half leaf only prottruds out toward the back of the truck not all the way like the full leaf does . It has a u bracket with a greasable roller . When the exsisting spring flattens and contacts the roller then the helper starts to work .

Edited by Stubby

20 minutes ago, Stubby said:

The half leaf only prottruds out toward the back of the truck not all the way like the full leaf does . It has a u bracket with a greasable roller . When the exsisting spring flattens and contacts the roller then the helper starts to work .

Not seen that before! I'll look into it! 

15 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Weight it & find out.

I bet you are surprised in a not so pleasant way.

4 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Already done that, with no driver but full tanks etc it comes in at 2700kg that load of branches was mostly air. The data plate says it can take 2450 on the rear axle and 1850 on the front. Even unloaded the springs look pretty flatDSC_0520.thumb.JPG.64a59e46e1d875a58bcc3ffdf6022b09.JPG

2450 & 1850 but not at same time lol.

So with driver about 700kg of load.

Thats not much for an arb truck.

A 20ft tree is easily going to weigh that.

I recon I can see an easy 1t+ in that pile.

Your pic seems to have plenty of logs in it too.

From memory that model has what look like odd shaped springs.

• Like 1