Transit uprated springs?

Paddy1000111

Not at the same time, I agree... Although it probably drives around with that in it 🤣

I doubt it weighed 700kg as a tree. Ignore the bigger logs, they were from something else but it was all under 6" and would have been chipped. It was only half the tree too as half of it had been cut off level with the road. It was probably 16ft to the tips as it was under the household powerline! 

The tipper had no issue tipping it either and its a scissor so I doubt it had too much weight

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Not at the same time, I agree... Although it probably drives around with that in it 🤣

I doubt it weighed 700kg as a tree. Ignore the bigger logs, they were from something else but it was all under 6" and would have been chipped. It was only half the tree too as half of it had been cut off level with the road. It was probably 16ft to the tips as it was under the household powerline! 

The tipper had no issue tipping it either and its a scissor so I doubt it had too much weight

Not hard to be overweight, only a fine up to a max of 30% over which is not a lot of weight on a transit, after that its a summons and you could be charged with the more serious offence of using a vehicle in a dangerous condition under S40A(d) the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured. Insurance could also be invalid. The maximum penalty that could be imposed under this section is a level 5 fine which is unlimited, a disqualification from driving and 3 points if no disqualification is imposed . If your insurance company do a slippery side step because of an accident there is also that to deal with.These days you are better off with a 4x4 and trailer for the logsnchogs , keep the transit/chipper for chip.

Bob

Thanks for that, I'm well aware of the law and basically just keep it under 4550kg and it's fine. I don't really shift logs in it minus the odd 3/4 chogs from a small removal. 4550 (1900kg payload) is a lot of chip. The most it's been (it's been weighed a lot) was 4950 when it had one scoop of compost in it because the guy with the digger was insane. 

I mainly deal with smaller removals and domestic work like pruning. I don't really run with it to the gunnels. 

1 minute ago, josharb87 said:

Thanks, i assumed it'd be 30% of the load.

Not really fine morally though, should an accident occur, but i guess thats not the point.

Well, that's true. I'm not advocating running overloaded (and I don't do it usually). But I do think that in the case of a crash it's not going to make much difference. If someone hits you then weight doesn't matter. If you hit someone else then the only issue really is the brakes. 

On the other hand, hundreds of 3500kg vans are driven around overloaded every day by idiots who don't care. They speed, they drive recklessly, they go on their phone and don't pay attention. 

The least I can do is ensure the van can handle it, check my tyres and pressures, watch my speed, leave lots of room and pay attention. 

Don’t you mean bags are the same price with out the Agro of broken springs?

Every system has its down side but I wouldn’t hesitate to have air again. Just keep jacking it up till level and don’t look like a off roader when empty.

A transit riding high on the arse end gives a traffic copper a mental note to pull it when it’s level [emoji848]

take a look at these guys in Ireland. I’ve used there kits in the past, was a painless experience [emoji106]

WWW.DRIVERITEAIR.COM

Can these be used as a “ helper” set up? As in you keep the springs but have theses as well? Also I can’t find a price on the site .

8 minutes ago, Ian C said:

Can these be used as a “ helper” set up? As in you keep the springs but have theses as well? Also I can’t find a price on the site .

I think that's how their designed as opposed to replacements as far as I can tell?