The Air Quality(Domestic Solid Fuels Standards) (England) Regulations 2020.sd

cessna

I strongly recommend  downloading the  above from the internet, and read slowly through  it . After reading it ,it has put my mind at rest over a few things at least till May 2022. I might then be forced to  call it a day if I haven't,  mastered a technique of getting logs down to 20%  just by air seasoning!!!!!!  

Of course , if I have misinterpreted  what I read I may be in for a fine😒 

I will keep a copy of the regulations with me in my truck,to explain to customers and show to  a "little HITLER/ESS    local authority officer " who will be on an ego trip to exercise their  Authority .

46 minutes ago, cessna said:

I strongly recommend  downloading the  above from the internet, and read slowly through  it . After reading it ,it has put my mind at rest over a few things at least till May 2022. I might then be forced to  call it a day if I haven't,  mastered a technique of getting logs down to 20%  just by air seasoning!!!!!!  

Of course , if I have misinterpreted  what I read I may be in for a fine😒 

I will keep a copy of the regulations with me in my truck,to explain to customers and show to  a "little HITLER/ESS    local authority officer " who will be on an ego trip to exercise their  Authority .

In case you haven't seen it Paul put together a good piece about moisture content that makes the job of drying logs a bit easier if you have  regular moisture meter 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cessna said:

I purchased a Valiant moisture meter from HETAS . I certainly hope that when it says 20% ,it is what HETAS would  would except  as 20% !!!!

That would indeed be logical but reading its blurb it sounds like it may be aimed at construction first so could be measuring on a dry basis. "The Moisture Meter can be used for measuring the moisture content of any structural wood and timber, including, but not restricted to: Oak, Yew, Cedar, Maple, Birch, Ash, Beech, Hornbeam, Holly, Cherry and Apple etc. By changing the Mode setting it can also be used to check for rising damp in plaster, in stone and brickwork buildings."

43 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

That would indeed be logical but reading its blurb it sounds like it may be aimed at construction first so could be measuring on a dry basis. "The Moisture Meter can be used for measuring the moisture content of any structural wood and timber, including, but not restricted to: Oak, Yew, Cedar, Maple, Birch, Ash, Beech, Hornbeam, Holly, Cherry and Apple etc. By changing the Mode setting it can also be used to check for rising damp in plaster, in stone and brickwork buildings."

I will phone Valiant  tomorrow to get a definitive answer as to whether it measures moisture using Dry or Wet basis. All I want is moisture meter that measures moisture content to Woodsure  standards at the press of a button.  

All the articles Arbtalk members  about moisture content are interesting but all I want is  a moisture meter that I can carry in my truck and say to a customer ,when I measure a log in front of them ,that the moisture content is  "x" etc and this moisture meter is approved by Hetas/Woodsure  , irrespective of what the customers moisture meter may say , whether that be higher or lower than mine. 

Edited by cessna
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, cessna said:

I purchased a Valiant moisture meter from HETAS . I certainly hope that when it says 20% ,it is what HETAS would  would except  as 20% !!!!

Is this the colour change one that comes in at £24.50 delivered?  Any foibles?

I may lash out and try one for the first time, then do some tests.

9 hours ago, cessna said:

I will phone Valiant  tomorrow to get a definitive answer as to whether it measures moisture using Dry or Wet basis. All I want is moisture meter that measures moisture content to Woodsure  standards at the press of a button.  

All the articles Arbtalk members  about moisture content are interesting but all I want is  a moisture meter that I can carry in my truck and say to a customer ,when I measure a log in front of them ,that the moisture content is  "x" etc and this moisture meter is approved by Hetas/Woodsure  , irrespective of what the customers moisture meter may say , whether that be higher or lower than mine. 

I have just phoned Valiant ( 6/5/21. 8.50am) ,and the customer services lady told me the Valiant FIR421 Colour Change Moisture meter, definitely  measures moisture using the "WET BASIS". I hope that helps and if you wish to phone them to confirm what I have said Valiants Phone Number is:- 01763 284184.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well done for phoning them, I'm tempted to email them to ask as well.

I'm still a little doubtful as the instructions and sales bumf does not mention what basis it uses.

I'm also put off by the contradicting sales details that say the screen will show green under 20% but the instructions say it has to be between 6-15%.

SHOP.HETAS.CO.UK

Valiant Moisture Meter Colour Change

It would be useful to see some test results as a cheap wet basis meter would be very useful to many here.

I suspect it is actually measuring on dry basis but colour coding adjusted for measuring firewood whatever it is sold on shophetas.co.uk as equipment to measure moisture content of firewood so use Amber is good to go for seasoned firewood. 

• Like 1