Starting a Petter PH1 single cylinder Diesel engine

Baldbloke

Not that I give a toss what you think, but it’ll be used for towing chippers and trailers.

I will get a winch on it for work.

I am in two minds about a snorkel, I think it’s a bit daft, but my nephew feels we will regularly be wading through pussy in a truck like this, so is in favour.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

...Anyway , dragged this one out today , Baldbloke , reminded me of an old problem , the injector pump can get water down the side of the pump housing and seize the plunger - in the Prime / Stop position . So the A lever in the pic , doesnt Prime yr injector . Take Bryce pump off n put bit of WD40 down on plunger till it popps back , you can rotate engine on handle n see it move . 

Petter PH1 injector pump .jpg

Edited by Khriss
( Lever A is in RUN position )
  • Like 1

Once that plunger moves freely , put plate back on , and Bryce pump on and move Lever A up and down with pump travel shaft ( chevron at top ) flipped out and to Left ( full delivery  of fuel ) . You will soon feel strong resistance on Lever A as you pump , thts the injector primed - Lever B to decompress - Lever A to position in pic or RUN - three or four turns on handle then crank hard when you flip Lever B to run - which took just three or four turns on mine to fire it up . K

( then i turned it off as we in posh built up area an its straight through exhaust ) 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, topchippyles said:

That is a proper land rover and what does dempsey know about such things 😆That one of his is a weekend run about.

I was thinking that I should have offered it for the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral to save having that special one made.  As a Sandringham Six made by Hotspur Cars of Sandringham the name would be correct and the crane would have helped the pallbearers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Once that plunger moves freely , put plate back on , and Bryce pump on and move Lever A up and down with pump travel shaft ( chevron at top ) flipped out and to Left ( full delivery  of fuel ) . You will soon feel strong resistance on Lever A as you pump , thts the injector primed - Lever B to decompress - Lever A to position in pic or RUN - three or four turns on handle then crank hard when you flip Lever B to run - which took just three or four turns on mine to fire it up . K

( then i turned it off as we in posh built up area an its straight through exhaust ) 

Great information Khriss thank you! Been doing night shifts until today so not had time till now.

One thing that’s puzzling me is that the priming lever can’t move over 180 degrees as the tip hits the chassis by the time its traveled 90 degrees (or a quarter of one full turn), - so can’t get pressure up to make injector ‘squeak’ by getting the pressure up in the fuel line from pump to injector. Shouldn’t that lever need to travel over a full 180 degrees? As it is, with the mere 90 degrees of travel, it appears impossible to get any more resistance other than what it’s return spring is giving. Picture of issue with screwdriver holding it at max movement. Also that engine/ gearbox positioning seems 100% so no apparent settling on mounts.

Funnily enough, the seller wasn’t even aware of the machine having a priming lever until I pointed it out to him on his visit to try to help out[emoji23]. This was born out by the fact it was coated with a mixture of oil/diesel and grime showing that no apparent usage of it had occurred for years.

[emoji848]IMG_1620900978.196437.thumb.jpg.c9c826a6cc24763aea2a222f8d152468.jpg

• Sad 1