Starting a Petter PH1 single cylinder Diesel engine

Baldbloke

Is it still road registered, did she come with a logbook?

Part timer!! w00t.gif.d684b04d6f531f912047de95eaf89ae2.gif

Yup, having worked 60/70/80 hour weeks all my life I retired to drive doctors, nurses and paramedics about on a mere 36 hour contract. Nearly Full time supposedly🤣

No log book but I suppose you could apply.

3 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

Yup, having worked 60/70/80 hour weeks all my life I retired to drive doctors, nurses and paramedics about on a mere 36 hour contract. Nearly Full time supposedly🤣

No log book but I suppose you could apply.

I have been very tempted to do that for mine. The parts book lists the roadgoing kit for it - two mirrors on stalks and a squeeze-bulb horn!

Alec

• Like 2

Takes me back to my teenage years and playing on one very similar. I rarely crashed it either. 2 speed (or 3 if you count the clutch never quite disengaging) and in top, with a seat polished through time, a tight corner, and hanging on to the wheel bum over the edge, foot flat on the throttle till it was straight enough to climb back on again... all good, till dad saw me once and I had to do corners 'safer'. 

So from what I remember starting, lever on the top - decompression? up (starter handle easiest that way on that machine, others might vary) and behind the gear lever there was a knob - throttle thing? that twisted and locked shut to turn it off. So if the lever works OK, my suggestion would be to check the throttle thing isn't locked in - it twisted to release and pop out. Might be the old owner put that in without you noticing? Technical terms here - lever and round knob, I was 14 and technical things were more limited to descriptions rather than names.

Takes me back to my teenage years and playing on one very similar. I rarely crashed it either. 2 speed (or 3 if you count the clutch never quite disengaging) and in top, with a seat polished through time, a tight corner, and hanging on to the wheel bum over the edge, foot flat on the throttle till it was straight enough to climb back on again... all good, till dad saw me once and I had to do corners 'safer'. 

So from what I remember starting, lever on the top - decompression? up (starter handle easiest that way on that machine, others might vary) and behind the gear lever there was a knob - throttle thing? that twisted and locked shut to turn it off. So if the lever works OK, my suggestion would be to check the throttle thing isn't locked in - it twisted to release and pop out. Might be the old owner put that in without you noticing? Technical terms here - lever and round knob, I was 14 and technical things were more limited to descriptions rather than names.

This one just has the foot throttle.....and a retrospective soft seat [emoji1303]

3 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

This one just has the foot throttle.....and a retrospective soft seat emoji1303.png

You can get a decent ride on mower seat off ebay, which will feel like an armchair after the  old steel pan seats, then start a new thread " Pimp My Bitch Dumper Y'all"  or something along those lines  ☺️ K

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Khriss said:

You can get a decent ride on mower seat off ebay, which will feel like an armchair after the  old steel pan seats, then start a new thread " Pimp My Bitch Dumper Y'all"  or something along those lines  ☺️ K

Pah! I have just formed and welded a new base to my steel pan seat, mainly because the two replacements which had been welded over one another had both rotted through along with the original. I have seen versions with the seat on a spring. Mine just bolts straight on the top so no suspension/cushioning of any kind.

It will however get a coat of paint, if only to extend the time before I have to do it again.

Alec

This thread has also reminded me of something.

The JCB factory in Rocester has a multi-storey office block at the front. It's all open plan, probably 200yds long end to end and each floor has very high ceilings. The floors are laid out with a central walkway and every now and again there is a JCB product, mostly a backhoe loader or a loadall or similar. One of the people I occasionally visit has his desk right next to a 15cwt dumper, I would guess of 1960s vintage. It still has the original manual in its plastic wallet fixed to the wing. One time I was there a couple of us were contemplating that we could probably get it running - visions of sneaking in a can of diesel, driving it around the office belching smoke and just how long you could get away with it before you got grabbed and stopped. I doubt there are many people who would know how to stop it though!

Alec

• Like 3