Midi digger (5T) Ripper teeth

drinksloe

Alright.

Alright just wondering on opinions on ripper teeth and the various brands.

Put off buying 1 for years but going to bite the bullet,

Got a found to dig throu some shaley rock ( prob only 30m but fairly hard as well as an electrical cable trench where could be a lot off tree roots.

Been looking for a 2nd hand 1 for years just never see any 2nd hand

Is there much difference between brands?

I see the Jsl 1 has a toothed blade on back, does the blade actually work for cutting roots?

Is it worth the extra money.

I ake it they generally hold there value 2nd hand? Only really be needing it for 1-2 month.

1 hour ago, Johny Walker said:

I had 1 for my hitachi sat in the lockup for 12mths never used it

sold it with the machine

I use mine at least every other week. If it's for ripping rock then get a normal one with a replaceble CAT type tip and the right geometry- the curve is important. Not sure on the RSL one- looks a little long and not enough of a curve to me.

You won't look back.

I just finished 1000m of trenching through shaley rock and only needed the ripper for 20 ish metres, and that was on a 2.8t machine. You might well be OK with a 12" bucket with fresh teeth. Once you're into the shale it tends to break out fairly easily. Never hurts to have the ripper as backup though....

Edited by doobin

Aye tried the small bucket, think a 9" and was just shaking the machine to bits, and snapped both teeth off it.

Fairly hard but like u say it is shearing when u hit it at the right angle just takes a bit of back and forward.

Been at the banking a few years now so rock is getting softer as weather gets into it.

Bet really handy for the 20m u needed it for thou.

I was putting off buying 1 just incase it wasn't up to the job and needed a pecker, but with this cable to dig in thought I'd give it a go can see it catching a few roots

Cheers folks I think I might it steer clear of the Jsl 1 then.

Never used 1 before but thought if it does wot it said in the blurb might be quite good but did look bulky.

I'll just stick with a more normal 1, might be easier sold afterwards too, meaning to move digger on after I get these 2 jobs done.

So if anyone is wanting 1 in the near future for a 5t machine on 45mm pins.

5 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Cheers folks I think I might it steer clear of the Jsl 1 then.

Never used 1 before but thought if it does wot it said in the blurb might be quite good but did look bulky.

I'll just stick with a more normal 1, might be easier sold afterwards too, meaning to move digger on after I get these 2 jobs done.

So if anyone is wanting 1 in the near future for a 5t machine on 45mm pins.

Just hire one, the guy your mate gets the tracked dumpers off will have several and if he aint got one no one has, a mate of mine has one and i think its made out of a ripper of something like a D6 and its something he has had for many years it was used on a 6 tonne kubota, i can enquire about that for you if you want ? or the other guy is Mick Wilkinson or commonly known as Wurzell both good guys to deal with,

Cheers spud.

Just no one around locally, by time I drive down to Wilkinson's be 2+ hrs each way, so 2 days off work + desiel + hire.

I sort off hope when I sell it, it shouldn't drop too much, plus this job cold take longer than I plan, always do when at ur own house.

1 rusty old one went thro euro last week within 50quid of a new price delivered o my door, and it still had buyers fees to go on top plus me picking it up.

• Like 1