Vermeer BC 190 XL thoughts/experiences?

Mick Dempsey

2 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Sounds like the halfwits like chipping concrete in this case.

Good thing they hadn't done a thorough cleaning job, in a way.

Quite so.

I didn’t even ask them to start the engine, by that point I was loading the tools and saying my goodbyes.

I had said to myself that unless this machine was impeccable (considering the money being asked) I was walking away.

• Like 2

Shame that you went to that effort though! Always braver to walk away for a reconsider. Something worthy will appear eventually.

I've had a couple of folk talk to me about used kit that they had gone to see and once home, found issues of one kind or another only to be told 'sold as seen'. There ain't no such thing in the UK, is there any redress similar to that in France?

28 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Shame that you went to that effort though! Always braver to walk away for a reconsider. Something worthy will appear eventually.

I've had a couple of folk talk to me about used kit that they had gone to see and once home, found issues of one kind or another only to be told 'sold as seen'. There ain't no such thing in the UK, is there any redress similar to that in France?

Well Stu brought up the vice caché thing, but I’ve never heard of it being used on  stuff like this.

‘Sold as seen’  translates as ‘en etat’ or ‘as it is’ 

I might go brand new again, just for the warranty. No hurry, the Schliesing is running great, if a bit overkill for day to day stuff.

39 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Well Stu brought up the vice caché thing, but I’ve never heard of it being used on  stuff like this.

‘Sold as seen’  translates as ‘en etat’ or ‘as it is’ 

I might go brand new again, just for the warranty. No hurry, the Schliesing is running great, if a bit overkill for day to day stuff.

Would you not run another Schliesing Mick? If all the chippers I've used that's what I'd be surrendering my hypothetical money on. 

I was wondering, spend a few quid refurbishing/polishing the big chipper to keep and then buy something 6" for little jobs. At that point 25hp diesel TW230 is pretty safe engine option and being 25hp instead of 35hp not really an issue, if it needs more power take the big one.

9 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Would you not run another Schliesing Mick? If all the chippers I've used that's what I'd be surrendering my hypothetical money on. 

It is certainly in the mix Joe.

It seems good, it was second hand and I’ve had a few issues with it, blown hydraulic motor, loose wire that was earthing and cost to a grand to find.

I’m not religious about it but it seems a good machine, but it is big, too big really for daily use.

The best and most reliable chipper I had was a 150 TW that I bought new in 2003 and kept till 2015, the worst was the Forst I bought to replace it, so read into that what you may.

After this aborted attempt to get a decent second hand one I may look again at new.

The Schliesing I want is 44k plus VAT, the bank would be ok with it, I’m not sure I am though.

I get a few PMs from other members giving me horror stories about certain models for which I am grateful.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It is certainly in the mix Joe.

It seems good, it was second hand and I’ve had a few issues with it, blown hydraulic motor, loose wire that was earthing and cost to a grand to find.

I’m not religious about it but it seems a good machine, but it is big, too big really for daily use.

The best and most reliable chipper I had was a 150 TW that I bought new in 2003 and kept till 2015, the worst was the Forst I bought to replace it, so read into that what you may.

After this aborted attempt to get a decent second hand one I may look again at new.

The Schliesing I want is 44k plus VAT, the bank would be ok with it, I’m not sure I am though.

I get a few PMs from other members giving me horror stories about certain models for which I am grateful.

Fair enough, the model that I sometimes use is a 235mx I think, which is 7.5" or thereabouts?

Probably double the weight of a 150.

I've a Bugnot sat on my drive this lunch time.

Knarly single roller, toothed conveyor, deafening Kohler diesel encased in a metal box.

Belt tensioner clutch, no brakes but a parking brake like my grinders which acts on the tyre.

In the last year 2 hire places opened up in town. 

I tried the Rabaud 150 2 weeks ago and that was an awfull machine to use.

I've used this Bugnot before when it was new and fitted with cutting tools instead of flails. 

Flails today, shrub-er-ama-smash.

Plenty of bramble, eleagnus and twisty vile stuff. Toothed conveyor is ideal for this.

Stuart

16227174337546856177702836356372.jpg

16227174552225633001427579944929.jpg

16227174693485164907002865398176.jpg

• Like 1