Jump to content
Paddy1000111

Forst ST6P common issues?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I agree but as long as you check them and make sure they're greasing every now and again then it saves a lot of time. It's less time to have a check of the pipes every now and again than it is to open all the covers and grease all the bearings individually. It only takes 2 minutes to grease all the nipples when the tank is refilled. Plus if I ask someone to grease the bearings for me I know that nothing getting missed. 

 

Also, why is one of the bearings on the feed rollers on these ungreasable? The lower roller on the motor side has a phos-bronze bearing that can't be greased but it gets replaced every 400 hours instead? 

You would be supprised how often chipper bearings Crack the housing,I have experienced decent chunks of the radius fall from the block. Having pointless central greasing banks on a wee machine like a 6" chipper is simply a gimmick.

 

Forsts are built to a low price point and the design shows that.Chop it in inside the 2 year warranty and its likely going to do you well.Dont expect it to hold up for 5000 hours though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm seeing mine through rose tinted glasses as I have spent my hard earned money on it but what makes forst worse than say timberwolf? Mine is a 2017 with 360 hours on and it's almost brand new. Obviously time will tell, but what makes it worse? From what I can see in it's design and build it seems pretty solid. Everything including the trailer is overbuilt with run on brakes, a 3 tonne tow hitch for a 750 machine etc. The flywheel is solid, the bearing mounts seem pretty good. There's nothing on it that seems "cheap" when compared to something like a timberwolf (which I have had more experience with than forst) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the convenience of the grease bank. You could do worse than get the cover off and have a good poke around on a regular basis on a Forst, greasing the nipples direct makes you do that.

Checking roller motors, shaft collars, the crappy motor holders, welding and everything else on a regular basis can save you a few quid.

 

I hope yours works well and long Paddy, there’s no doubt that there have been issues on build quality though.

They’re very good at helping over the phone and sending out spares, so there is that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Maybe I'm seeing mine through rose tinted glasses as I have spent my hard earned money on it but what makes forst worse than say timberwolf? Mine is a 2017 with 360 hours on and it's almost brand new. Obviously time will tell, but what makes it worse? From what I can see in it's design and build it seems pretty solid. Everything including the trailer is overbuilt with run on brakes, a 3 tonne tow hitch for a 750 machine etc. The flywheel is solid, the bearing mounts seem pretty good. There's nothing on it that seems "cheap" when compared to something like a timberwolf (which I have had more experience with than forst) 

200kg less of steel in a Forst than a Jensen.Redwoods copied Jensen as close as they could and found cheaper solutions to some items and still got a law suit over it.

 

Main thing is your happy,don't get to attached to it and sell it before the warranty runs out.

 

I have been working on chippers and using them daily for 22 years,I was genuinely going to buy a Forst untill I visited their dealership and looked at one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

200kg less of steel in a Forst than a Jensen.Redwoods copied Jensen as close as they could and found cheaper solutions to some items and still got a law suit over it.

 

Main thing is your happy,don't get to attached to it and sell it before the warranty runs out.

 

I have been working on chippers and using them daily for 22 years,I was genuinely going to buy a Forst untill I visited their dealership and looked at one.

One of my subby climbers managed to feed an innocuous garden ornament into an ST6 tracked. The blades shattered, puncturing the wall of the chip chamber which doubles as the hydraulic tank.

Here in France, this is a 3 month+ €7k repair PLUS the hire of a chipper until the replacement GM arrives. Painfully, this ST6 was actually provisionally sold, with a deposit taken on the day of the accident which was it's last job with the owner.

I thought I knew misery until I heard this from Jerome.

   Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

One of my subby climbers managed to feed an innocuous garden ornament into an ST6 tracked. The blades shattered, puncturing the wall of the chip chamber which doubles as the hydraulic tank.

Here in France, this is a 3 month+ €7k repair PLUS the hire of a chipper until the replacement GM arrives. Painfully, this ST6 was actually provisionally sold, with a deposit taken on the day of the accident which was it's last job with the owner.

I thought I knew misery until I heard this from Jerome.

   Stuart

In fairness to Forst, if you’re going to stick garden ornaments, innocuous or otherwise into any chipper, you have to expect consequences.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

One of my subby climbers managed to feed an innocuous garden ornament into an ST6 tracked. The blades shattered, puncturing the wall of the chip chamber which doubles as the hydraulic tank.

Here in France, this is a 3 month+ €7k repair PLUS the hire of a chipper until the replacement GM arrives. Painfully, this ST6 was actually provisionally sold, with a deposit taken on the day of the accident which was it's last job with the owner.

I thought I knew misery until I heard this from Jerome.

   Stuart

Is that not a justified reason to be more careful with staff selection?

 

Or reason to blame it on the manufacturer?

 

That example is like blaming Audi for the wife curbing my wheels the A6,  FFS and on the morning I just sold it...

 

To make matters worse, my Tesla won’t arrive for 3 weeks.

 

Audi are the worst!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

In fairness to Forst, if you’re going to stick garden ornaments, innocuous or otherwise into any chipper, you have to expect consequences.

It was learning that the chip chamber wall was also the wall of the hydro tank which surprised me given the occassional mention online of blade break ups.

A bit like a fighter pilot sitting on top of the petrol tank, only takes a single cannon round to light him up.

  Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Is that not a justified reason to be more careful with staff selection.

 

Or reason to blame it on the manufacturer?

 

That example is like blaming Audi for the wife curbing my wheels A6,  FFS and on the morning I just sold it...

 

To make matters worse, my Tesla won’t arrive for 3 weeks.

 

Audi are the worst!

Sorry, I should have been clearer with the point I was trying to make. 

It was not in one of my jobs and not my chipper either.

  Stuart

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.