Forst ST6P common issues?

Paddy1000111

47 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Also a decent surface grinder will have slurry ( cutting fluid ) spraying on the wheel . No over heating .

Think that one was an old Bridgeport , hand traverses , no coolant jet on it . Watched a powered feed one do some blades , bloke just set it and went fr coffee  ! K

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Think that one was an old Bridgeport , hand traverses , no coolant jet on it . Watched a powered feed one do some blades , bloke just set it and went fr coffee  ! K

Jones and Shipman  I used

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the help. Had a day off today to get on top of things and gave the chipper a darn good going over. Couldn't find any real issues luckily. Touched up the paint here and there, checked the grease tubes and flushed all the bearings through with fresh grease. I think forst changed the flywheel bearings when they "rebuilt" it as they look pretty new and it took 12 pumps of grease before any came out and it came out clean straight away which is a little disconcerting but oh well! Apart from that the bolts (Allen key) that hold the blades in have been pre-rounded for me so that will be fun when it comes to changing the blades. Overall, pretty happy! 👌

• Like 1

On 04/05/2021 at 20:08, Mick Dempsey said:

The flywheel bearings aren’t purge bearings.

Dont over-grease them.

I noticed they are "sealed" bearings. My main concern was that the grease wasn't getting in there. I greased to purge and then let off the v belts and turned the flywheel by hand for a bit to let out the extra grease gently before firing it up. I won't regrease for 16 hours on those two now I know there's a good amount of grease in there. I guessed that's why the warning signs are on there! 

7 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Are the grease lines pressure rated?

It's ptfe tube so I would say no. Going off similar pipe online maybe 10 bar? I just grease slowly and gently. I imagine part of the reason not to overgrease is because pressure can build and burst a pipe. There's not a hope in hell of the pipes handling the 400 bar my gun can chuck out 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It's ptfe tube so I would say no. Going off similar pipe online maybe 10 bar? I just grease slowly and gently. I imagine part of the reason not to overgrease is because pressure can build and burst a pipe. There's not a hope in hell of the pipes handling the 400 bar my gun can chuck out 

And thats exactly why those pipes are hopeless.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

And thats exactly why those pipes are hopeless.

I agree but as long as you check them and make sure they're greasing every now and again then it saves a lot of time. It's less time to have a check of the pipes every now and again than it is to open all the covers and grease all the bearings individually. It only takes 2 minutes to grease all the nipples when the tank is refilled. Plus if I ask someone to grease the bearings for me I know that nothing getting missed. 

Also, why is one of the bearings on the feed rollers on these ungreasable? The lower roller on the motor side has a phos-bronze bearing that can't be greased but it gets replaced every 400 hours instead?