Uptake of Woodsure,"Ready to Burn Scheme"

cessna

9 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Not for profit / cic / community organisation / quango - whatever they call themselves, it’s always shiny ass richard craniums with no f*cking clue drawing a fat pay cheque off some other poor bar stewards hard labour without actually adding any value to the process. The sooner we’re rid of these leaches the better. 

All day long .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Not for profit / cic / community organisation / quango - whatever they call themselves, it’s always shiny ass richard craniums with no f*cking clue drawing a fat pay cheque off some other poor bar stewards hard labour without actually adding any value to the process. The sooner we’re rid of these leaches the better. 

There are a few exceptions I'm sure. But yes, generally, I completely agree. Some of the worst (least persuasive) adverts and other promotional marketing efforts I see come from Charities (and, to be fair, government departments). 

2 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

I think you misunderstand the terms profit and surplus funds. They can easily not make a profit by investing surplus funds. It's only a semantic arguement though as a not-for-profit can easily have surplus funds. Not-for-profit does not mean it has to run at a loss, or even break even. 

All a bit confusing to me.  So no profit no tax , surplus funds no tax ?  Is my thinking correct or please can you explain when  one has to pay tax, as I am wondering how the government ever gets any tax revenue from companies, businesses how ever big or small.???   😕

57 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

As you used the singular I think you only refer to HETAS-Woodsure but I think it applies to many cic / community organisation / quangos and the rub is in the wages they grant themselves with little scrutiny from toothless trustees and charity commissioners.

53 minutes ago, cessna said:

All a bit confusing to me.  So no profit no tax , surplus funds no tax ?  Is my thinking correct or please can you explain when  one has to pay tax, as I am wondering how the government ever gets any tax revenue from companies, businesses how ever big or small.???   😕

The surplus funds need to be used for the 'cause'; there will be no shareholders to whom dividends could be distributed. A normal business is designed to make money for the shareholders, a not for profit is supposed to use all funds gained to help the 'cause'. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

As you used the singular I think you only refer to HETAS-Woodsure but I think it applies to many cic / community organisation / quangos and the rub is in the wages they grant themselves with little scrutiny from toothless trustees and charity commissioners.

With over 160,000  charities registered to the Charities  Commission ,I cant help but think  that  some "so say charities" are skating  on thin ice ,as they say. In my opinion, some of those so say charities  are only a charity to themselves, if that makes sense, the words "Creative accounting" come to mind.

As  said by others ,the salaries some Charity executives/staff are paid are mind boggling to  humble  people like us on Arbtalk.     

Sad to say but I am not a very charitable person as I dont want my donations to go to fat cats salaries.

I show my charity to old people not as fortunate as me by doing a good turn for them and not charging for it,

for example stacking a load of wood and not charging for doing so,even if they offer to pay.

But each to their own in this ruthless world. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

The surplus funds need to be used for the 'cause'; there will be no shareholders to whom dividends could be distributed. A normal business is designed to make money for the shareholders, a not for profit is supposed to use all funds gained to help the 'cause'. 

Presumably the 'cause' would be their own cause!!!!!.😕😉

How does one become/what criteria does one have to meet to be a "not for profit business" compared to a for profit business . Or does the former only apply  to shareholder businesses opposed to individually owned businesses, which most log suppliers would be.?   

Edited by cessna

10 hours ago, cessna said:

Presumably the 'cause' would be their own cause!!!!!.😕😉

How does one become/what criteria does one have to meet to be a "not for profit business" compared to a for profit business . Or does the former only apply  to shareholder businesses opposed to individually owned businesses, which most log suppliers would be.?   

To start a charity you need trustees, to choose a business structure, decide suitable charitable purposes and you may have...

14 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

There are a few exceptions I'm sure. But yes, generally, I completely agree. Some of the worst (least persuasive) adverts and other promotional marketing efforts I see come from Charities (and, to be fair, government departments). 

Agreed there will be exceptions and excellent cic set ups - I’d expect the smaller they are, the more reliable and credible (small village grow yr own 👍🏻, but the bigger they are the more likely to be corrupted by money, greed, power)

With due recognition of the good ‘uns, I maintain the pitch fork wielding, flaming torch waving, rabble rousting general hysteria due to the fat cats 😂