Defender tipper Wanted.

Aisakelly

5 minutes ago, averagearborist said:

Mick! Always there to call the chip capacity! But it's true! The most important thing for efficiency is how much you can get on - surely you can do without another run to the bstard tip site.

Yeah god knows why people buy these defenders for arb. For some reason they are awesome, and you totally love them, and they look wicked - but Christ the cab space, and the feeling like it'll tip over on a bend when it's full, and the maintenance, and the turning circle, and the mileage. Experience with the defender - worst most awesome truck ever.

Mark 4 hilux. No pain. Always there for you. Never let me down.

does your hilux take more chip or about the same?

8 hours ago, Hodge said:

I have a 130 crew cab tipper, it's my 3rd one. I had the last one for 12 years. I get a good load of chip in mine and have plenary of top sites. Transits May get plenty of chip in but won't be legal driving full or towing I suspect. I have updated suspension and air bags on the rear, updated anti roll bar. It's perfect for what I need for my business, I can get it in where transits and the likes won't go.. Let the haters hate.IMG_1126.jpg

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

130 crew cab is listed as 2100kg.

Proper truck that one mick and have no issues taking the old snorkel out with that baby, Tip off the chip and put yours in the back,Make some room in the crew cab for you and the little nice dog of yours 

Edited by topchippyles

and would it tow a chipper whilst loaded?

i agree with all your points about the 130 defender, its like driving about in an old small metal shed!!!

but for our needs it works well, being rural we need 4x4 access but dont tend to remove a lot of chip as we use a tracked chipper.

13 minutes ago, averagearborist said:

And talking weight, who cares about weight? Working for massive companies with health and safety obsessions, one man bands without a care, and my own thing, always rolling over loaded. I haven't got a 7.5 tonne license... Same for everyone without grandad rights, right?

Well, if a deffy can take 1100kg of chip why buy a transit that can take 700kg

Defenders can be all up 3380

Transit can be 3500.

Doesn't sound like much but 4394 on a defender before you go to court, 4550 on a transit. It's also about axle weights too. 

I know what you're saying about weight, we're always overloaded but it's what it can handle. A transit seems to handle it. A 130 with the weight over the back? Not so sure. It's all fun and games till you have an accident and the copper asks questions

Transit can be 3500.

Doesn't sound like much but 4394 on a defender before you go to court, 4550 on a transit. It's also about axle weights too. 

I know what you're saying about weight, we're always overloaded but it's what it can handle. A transit seems to handle it. A 130 with the weight over the back? Not so sure. It's all fun and games till you have an accident and the copper asks questions
Yea. I actually really don't like driving round properly overloaded. I've just come to accept it and i just hope for thr best - same as everyone i suppose. I'll take the fine, that's fine. It's having an accident I'm worried about...

But back to defenders, chip capacity and that. It's not so much weight - it's volume. The defender or a lux or something can't take the volume like a light commercial. By quite a bit, i reckon.

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Transit can be 3500.

My defender 130 is 3500 kg gvm plus 3500 kg on trailer

Volume, the transits etc of this world will always beat a pickup.
I looked at defenders and bought a mk6 extra cab Hilux. At 6ft the def just wasn’t comfy.
Not worried about the maintenance etc at the start but now i’m busy i’m kinda glad my jap motor just works. The thought of getting home and having to fix stuff all the time would wear you down.

It holds enough for the work i do, tip sites are mostly local. Upgrading to a tipper trailer next so i can carry more chip/logs legally.
Will be tipper converting my mk9 when it finally arrives, for now it’s greedy boards and a fork to unload!