New rules on moisture content come into effect today

Woodworks

12 hours ago, Witterings said:

I'm really not trying to create an argument but if you can't season it properly maybe you shouldn't be in the business of selling it and if your client base includes pensioners they're not quite so clued in as to what seasoned wood actually is and are much more likely to unknowingly burn unseasoned wood (or pay a premium for wood they believe has been seasoned but hasn't) than someone younger who hasn't started loosing their faculties?

This if anything is potentially one positive argument in favour of the legislation? 

In my experience it's the other way round. The older people I know are completely aware of what seasoned wood is, and many could ID it from looking at a log.

The younger people are less knowledgeable. One of my neighbours (40's) asked me if I knew what was wrong with their log burner as it wouldn't light, I said it was probably the softwood logs that weren't seasoned (I felled and rung up the tree for them 6wks earlier). The response was "but it's firewood in a wood burner! We'll need to get someone to look at the stove".

And a friend in his 30's bought a house, I did some tree work in the garden and he was left a decent pile of rounds, with instructions how to split and stack for seasoning from me and his elderly neighbour. The pile got swamped in grass and nettles til you couldn't see it and a few months later he asked if it was ready to burn. His elderly neighbour and I raised an eyebrow.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

when i was a young lad we had a Yorkshire stove fire then moved and had a coke burning stove and a open fire that used coal i cannot remember anyone delivering logs around the village but i can remember people collecting fallen dead wood from the local woods with the baby prams and one bloke never cut it up just placed one end in the fire and kept pushing it in as it burnt away 

9 hours ago, Stere said:

Increases in wood burning have offset gains in other areas, including cleaning up exhaust fumes

surely only in winter though !!   and with the amount of rain in recent winters I doubt many particles get far from my house !!

24 minutes ago, Stere said:

Must peak in winter a suppose

Reference from the article links to here:

The interesting thing about that site is they do not discriminate between domestic burning, industrial burning and bonfires.

RHI must have significantly increase woodchip stokers and from experience I know they often get delivered well out of spec chip moistures content.

I went to

UK-AIR.DEFRA.GOV.UK

to try and grep some hourly data at various seasons for one site but had  not much success as my various terms brought up null data.

One day I will get my particulate monitor recording to file and run it for 24 hours.

The interesting thing about that site is they do not discriminate between domestic burning, industrial burning and bonfires.

RHI must have significantly increase woodchip stokers and from experience I know they often get delivered well out of spec chip moistures content.

I went to
UK-AIR.DEFRA.GOV.UK  to try and grep some hourly data at various seasons for one site but had  not much success as my various terms brought up null data.

One day I will get my particulate monitor recording to file and run it for 24 hours.
Can you send me the python you're using, or if you tried then what was the problem? Writing to file is reasonably straightforward.

5 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:
3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I went to UK-AIR.DEFRA.GOV.UK  to try and grep some hourly data at various seasons for one site but had  not much success as my various terms brought up null data.

Read more  

Can you send me the python you're using, or if you tried then what was the problem? Writing to file is reasonably straightforward.

The problem is I do not code, not since fortran4 and a little O for a Psion.

I adapted someone else’s code a long time ago and cannot remember what or how I did it.

See below:

#!/usr/bin/python
# -*- coding: UTF-8 -*-

import serial, time, struct, array
from datetime import datetime

ser = serial.Serial()
ser.port = "/dev/ttyUSB0" # Set this to your serial port
ser.baudrate = 9600

ser.open()
ser.flushInput()

byte, lastbyte = "\x00", "\x00"
cnt = 0
while True:
    lastbyte = byte
    byte = ser.read(size=1)
#    print("Got byte %x" %ord(byte))
    # We got a valid packet header
    if lastbyte == "\xAA" and byte == "\xC0":
        sentence = ser.read(size=8) # Read 8 more bytes
#        print "Sentence size {}".format(len(sentence))
        readings = struct.unpack('<hhxxcc',sentence) # Decode the packet - big endian, 2 shorts for pm2.5 and pm10, 2 reserved bytes, checksum, message tail
#        print array.array('B',sentence)
        pm_25 = readings[0]/10.0
        pm_10 = readings[1]/10.0
        # ignoring the checksum and message tail

if (cnt == 0 😞
            line = "PM 2.5: {} μg/m^3  PM 10: {} μg/m^3".format(pm_25, pm_10)
            print(datetime.now().strftime("%d %b %Y %H:%M:%S.%f: ")+line)
        cnt += 1
        if (cnt == 5):
            cnt = 0