New rules on moisture content come into effect today

Woodworks

I have some old age pensioner customers who only have enough  storage for .8 cu mtr  of logs,which is half of my usual 1.6 cu mtr full.   At the moment I cant meet the new regulations criteria which says a load of 1.6cu mtr or less has to be under 20%  mc.  Seems  ridiculous that small loads cant be over 20% as long as one gives the customer  a note ,the same as one has to do with a load of 2cu mtr.  OK I know what I am saying defeats the theoretical idea of the new regulations,but it doesnt seem very  fair for old age pensioners who trust someone they have been dealing with for 10yrs or so.!!!!!

Edited by cessna

22 minutes ago, cessna said:

I have some old age pensioner customers who only have enough  storage for .8 cu mtr  of logs,which is half of my usual 1.6 cu mtr full.   At the moment I cant meet the new regulations criteria which says a load of 1.6cu mtr or less has to be under 20%  mc.  Seems  ridiculous that small loads cant be over 20% as long as one gives the customer  a note ,the same as one has to do with a load of 2cu mtr.  OK I know what I am saying defeats the theoretical idea of the new regulations,but it doesnt seem very  fair for old age pensioners who trust someone they have been dealing with for 10yrs or so.!!!!!

I agree....  Plus. If you look at Ebay (for example) there is no change in the amount, quality or quantity of "firewood" offerings available.

I think it will be a case of a few unlucky individuals will be caught (targeted?)  and the rest will carry on as usual. Good or Bad suppliers alike.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cessna said:

With just 0.8m3 of storage how can they realistically season their own wood?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cessna said:

I'm really not trying to create an argument but if you can't season it properly maybe you shouldn't be in the business of selling it and if your client base includes pensioners they're not quite so clued in as to what seasoned wood actually is and are much more likely to unknowingly burn unseasoned wood (or pay a premium for wood they believe has been seasoned but hasn't) than someone younger who hasn't started loosing their faculties?

This if anything is potentially one positive argument in favour of the legislation? 

7 hours ago, Witterings said:

I'm really not trying to create an argument but if you can't season it properly maybe you shouldn't be in the business of selling it and if your client base includes pensioners they're not quite so clued in as to what seasoned wood actually is and are much more likely to unknowingly burn unseasoned wood (or pay a premium for wood they believe has been seasoned but hasn't) than someone younger who hasn't started loosing their faculties?

This if anything is potentially one positive argument in favour of the legislation? 

Just me but I would have thought the older person would know more about seasoning wood as that may have been their form of heating all their life .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Just me but I would have thought the older person would know more about seasoning wood as that may have been their form of heating all their life .

A good point I hadn't thought about that, was just thinking that the older are more susceptible to being scammed.

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Thinking this through further .... my dad's 89 (mum 88) and I've only ever known them have a gas boiler, I don't think they'd know which end of a log to put on a fire and he certainly wouldn't have a clue about which woods are good to burn let alone how dry they should be but I do reckon he'd be scammed a lot more easily than I would and that's only due to age as he's smarter than me.

Maybe they had open fires when they were kids (rings a bell my mum being asked to fill the coal bucket) but it's been that long anything they may have learnt then would probably be long since forgotten and they probably wouldn't have had anything to do with ordering in fuel for the fire ... I'll ask them next time I speak with them, be interesting to see what they say.

1 hour ago, Witterings said:

Thinking this through further .... my dad's 89 (mum 88) and I've only ever known them have a gas boiler, I don't think they'd know which end of a log to put on a fire and he certainly wouldn't have a clue about which woods are good to burn let alone how dry they should be but I do reckon he'd be scammed a lot more easily than I would and that's only due to age as he's smarter than me.

Maybe they had open fires when they were kids (rings a bell my mum being asked to fill the coal bucket) but it's been that long anything they may have learnt then would probably be long since forgotten and they probably wouldn't have had anything to do with ordering in fuel for the fire ... I'll ask them next time I speak with them, be interesting to see what they say.

OK that is also fair comment . I suppose it depends on the background and life style of said oldie . My Dad died at 96 and I am 67 and I know whats what to do with whats its 😁