661 - bar length?

Dilz

5 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Speak with him regular but just wondered did you guys know as we are online 

Cheers Les,

In that case I apologise. I am no help. I would be interested in your findings as I just use Lo-Pro. 

• Like 1

Guys what is the difference between the lo-pro and protop bars ? Looking at getting a couple of new bars and just wondered what you guys prefer as your favourite for milling. I currently use a 36" lo pro GB 

It’s the brand. GB pro top.
The lopro bars sold by rob are GB pro top. The orange coloured bars.

Yep as above - same company but different brand.

The GB ProTop are professional single piece steel bars [ie. non laminated] and are thicker - designed for all round use. The lo pro bars are milling only [although some use them for cross cutting as well].

Spiel on lo pro is all in the description here:

SNHS42-50WR 42"[107cm] GB Lo Pro Milling Bar 3/8 Lo Pro .050 137 drive links. Cuts a thinner kerf when milling timber...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Yep as above - same company but different brand.

The GB ProTop are professional single piece steel bars [ie. non laminated] and are thicker - designed for all round use. The lo pro bars are milling only [although some use them for cross cutting as well].

Spiel on lo pro is all in the description here:

SNHS42-50WR 42"[107cm] GB Lo Pro Milling Bar 3/8 Lo Pro .050 137 drive links. Cuts a thinner kerf when milling timber...

GB bars are lovely bars, I'm slowly going over to them on all our saws as they ware out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ian C said:

GB bars are lovely bars, I'm slowly going over to them on all our saws as they ware out.

Yep the ProTop bars are very underrated - mainly I think because they don't look as flashy as the Japanese bars or they are not as well known as Cannon. But they are solid, easy to maintain bars with a better price tag than the others.

• Like 4

On 02/05/2021 at 22:34, Rob D said:

Yep the ProTop bars are very underrated - mainly I think because they don't look as flashy as the Japanese bars or they are not as well known as Cannon. But they are solid, easy to maintain bars with a better price tag than the others.

I notice all the panther milling kits on the website that are 3/8 are low pro.  is this the preferred set up?  Right now  for a 661 seems like folk are saying that something like the the 40" mill with 36" bar would be a way to go that wouldn't be too much stress on the machine or?? 

5 hours ago, Dilz said:

I notice all the panther milling kits on the website that are 3/8 are low pro.  is this the preferred set up?  Right now  for a 661 seems like folk are saying that something like the the 40" mill with 36" bar would be a way to go that wouldn't be too much stress on the machine or?? 

It is for most - not for some.

If you read the info here https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/product/snhs42-50wr-42107cm-gb-lo-pro-milling-bar-3-8-lo-pro-050-137-drive-links-cuts-a-thinner-kerf-when-milling-timber-than-standard-chain/

• Like 1

Good stuff! It sounds like for the 661 lo pro is probably the way to go - might chance it and go for 42" bar..can always mill small stuff with a bigger bar but probably harder to mill bigger stuff with a smaller bar?? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dilz said:

Good stuff! It sounds like for the 661 lo pro is probably the way to go - might chance it and go for 42" bar..can always mill small stuff with a bigger bar but probably harder to mill bigger stuff with a smaller bar?? 

You can't mill bigger stuff with too small a bar - but yep you can do smaller stuff with a bigger bar.

• Like 3

That’s it in a nutshell, just ordered another mate for a 461.