661 - bar length?

Dilz

I've just ordered a 661 - plan to use it for milling as well as on bigger fells.  its not going to be in for about a month... So now its time for looking at a bigger mill set up ( currently only using a small log mill) 

My research has come up with a 661 will run a 3/8 lp set up to about 42" but is maybe a lot of stress on the machine?  what are folks thoughts? better to run a smaller bar length and not knacker the saw?  

Also at what point does a winch on the mill come in handy??   are they worth it?? 

U shouldn't have any trouble running a normal 3/8 42" with a full skip chain, mate does on his 660 no issues. Would defo recommend using full skip tho

And then get a lopro set up for milling, 42 would be fine 

Run the saw in before going straight into killing tho a bit 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dilz said:

I've just ordered a 661 - plan to use it for milling as well as on bigger fells.  its not going to be in for about a month... So now its time for looking at a bigger mill set up ( currently only using a small log mill) 

My research has come up with a 661 will run a 3/8 lp set up to about 42" but is maybe a lot of stress on the machine?  what are folks thoughts? better to run a smaller bar length and not knacker the saw?  

Also at what point does a winch on the mill come in handy??   are they worth it?? 

I use a 36" on mine and handles that well enough for milling 

5 minutes ago, Pete Mctree said:

42” is a real push for the saw on normal jobs- chain needs to be perfect & operator really gentle. 36 works well & it rips on a 30”. Sorry not used one milling, but I thinks chain selection will be critical

Full skip chain sorts thats 👍

I really do rate the chains now using them 

I use one on my 36" on the 661 

12 hours ago, Dilz said:

Hi. I run a 660 and am waiting for the 661 to arrive too.

In my experience:

660 runs 42" 3/8 LP no prob for milling in a Panther mill setup. Yes a winch is handy but not always essential (included with 42" panther mill especially on longer pieces. Just helps to ease the setup along. Saves you from crouching behind the mill, you can move to a more over/behind position. easier on your back.

For straight fells and for use in the chinese alaskan I use a standard 36" stihl 3/8 bar with a ripper for milling (no skip yet) and a 3/8 chisel for felling / ringing up.  I dare say I could go for a longer bar but then I'd need to get a skip full chisel for fells. Is that worth it?

It probably all comes down to $$. 

I was happy with the 36 3/8 ripper on the chinese alaskan milling 29"-30" and having dual use to be able to ring up big chunks with the other chain.

It all gets a bit of a faff when to use the mill I need to remove the dogs and change rim drive to use the Low Pro. 

Hence getting a second big saw.... Hoping once run in I can have one set up for milling and the older unit just to ring up.

All down to what you want in the end. 

Good luck. Many happy milling hours ahead. 

Bobg

• Like 2

42” lo pro for milling. Chain wants to be spot on.

I use 36” bar with skip , any bigger than that and for me it wants porting or up to the 880

Great saw the 660. Prefer it to the 661 although 661 probably edges it performance wise I’d guess.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Guys what is the difference between the lo-pro and protop bars ? Looking at getting a couple of new bars and just wondered what you guys prefer as your favourite for milling. I currently use a 36" lo pro GB 

You'd need to ask @Rob D he is the best one to comment.