First clients...

Dilz

Despite telling folk I have no real idea what im doing - they want stuff planking up - these aren't mates - but clients from doing tree work. one has 6 3m 30-40cm oak stems to cut into 2.5" boards -  I only have a small set up (60cc saw small log mill and edging mill so not super quick) -  I had one guy ring me and I put silly money on it (I think ) for milling 1 beech stem and 2 hornbeams (converted costs as im in Sweden - 100quid driving and set up fee and 60 quid an hour milling including materials / fuel / sharpening - not taking care of the sawdust - I wasn't too keen to do it but this bloke has been persistant and is happy to pay... ) I then saw one company based near Stockholm say they charge per board - 150quid for the first board and then about 70-80 per board after - that seems pretty steep for chainsaw milling but I honestly have no reference other than what I've scavanged off this forum - Main thing is striking the balance between not out right ripping folk off and busting my back all day for not much at the end of it) -  Was even considering finding the nearest similar sized boards from the building suppliers and charging maybe 30% of that price...What are folks thoughts on this? 

Might just add basic tax rate self employed here is about 32% and the vat is 25% so you do have a to charge a fair amount to have anything left after the state has robbed you of most of your days takings 

• Like 2

Milling is actually knackering, annihilates you’re body and think of the vibrations of running an 880 all day?? I did 15litres of fuel in a one day two days ago.

So charge your worth. I’m £300-£350 for subcontracting, other tree surgeons etc and £420 for domestic/private. Prices plus vat, and I take one centre slab home from each cut or I don’t want to do it because where’s the satisfaction and reward?

This is with an 880 and 72inch panther mill. And tbf the only stuff I ever seem to do is oversized big lumps so they get their money’s worth.

(I know the logs got bad shake but that’s how the customer wanted it done)

887AB402-96BE-46DA-9F08-B51526CF9588.jpg6e511ccf-c4b7-4a46-b8e8-feae5e8e72e3.jpg

• Like 5

I think you just have to go with what you think is a fair day rate that you are both happy with, its definitely all a learning curve and I'm never sure if we are too cheap or too expensive!!

I'd love to be milling in Sweden!!!!

Edited by kav

Milling is actually knackering, annihilates you’re body and think of the vibrations of running an 880 all day?? I did 15litres of fuel in a one day two days ago.

So charge your worth. I’m £300-£350 for subcontracting, other tree surgeons etc and £420 for domestic/private. Prices plus vat, and I take one centre slab home from each cut or I don’t want to do it because where’s the satisfaction and reward?

This is with an 880 and 72inch panther mill. And tbf the only stuff I ever seem to do is oversized big lumps so they get their money’s worth.

(I know the logs got bad shake but that’s how the customer wanted it done)

887AB402-96BE-46DA-9F08-B51526CF9588.thumb.jpg.365126bb6619921424ba0b9825389402.jpg6e511ccf-c4b7-4a46-b8e8-feae5e8e72e3.thumb.jpg.26ac697d40749715a4d2e6d8371d6f08.jpg

I like the stipulation of taking a centre slab as well as payment. I’m gonna add that from now.
  • Like 3

I guess it's just like learning to price tree work... probably be a few days where all I make is a sore back and a pocket of sawdust... wouldn't be the first time. Taking a board as part payment is nice touch especially if it's of the size in the pictures.

• Like 1