Racist Gardens

scotspine1

5 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

Kew Gardens strongly disagrees with you 

IMG_2444.jpg.806286b62d2c2491a0887724317ce67f.jpg

Having a conversation about race and racism are two completely different things. 

In much the same way that talking about sex doesn't mean you're talking about sexual abuse.

Most countries have an uncomfortable past, but the UK is very unwilling to talk about it's more serious transgressions. I don't think that that is the case in this instance, hence my belief that the use of the word racism is misguided.

21 minutes ago, Big J said:

Most countries have an uncomfortable past, but the UK is very unwilling to talk about it's more serious transgressions. I don't think that that is the case in this instance, hence my belief that the use of the word racism is misguided.

The relentless search for sin in the most innocent and productive of pastimes, such as gardening is a recent disturbing trend in western culture. These intolerant politically motivated activists take something innocent and positive like gardening and inject Marxist critical race theory into it in order to deconstruct it and ruin it's innate value by politicising it to the point of making people feel guilty about partaking in it. 

It's a disturbing cultural trend, which is corrosive and toxic to mental health and general well being and should be rejected everywhere it is encountered. 

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

The relentless search for sin in the most innocent and productive of pastimes, such as gardening is a recent disturbing trend in western culture. These intolerant politically motivated activists take something innocent and positive like gardening and inject Marxist critical race theory into it in order to deconstruct it and ruin it's innate value by politicising it to the point of making people feel guilty about partaking in it. 

It's a disturbing cultural trend, which is corrosive and toxic to mental health and general well being and should be rejected everywhere it is encountered. 

They may be at one end of the cultural sensitivity spectrum, and perhaps that isn't so healthy. But you're certainly at the other extreme, and I'd say that's equally problematic. A happy medium isn't a bad thing.

There is nothing wrong with highlighting historical issues relating to culture, race and imperialism, all of which inform our current situation and many of which don't bear up well under 21st century scrutiny. 

I'd say that by reacting to this interview with James Wong in the way that you have suggests you were looking for something to be offended about. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Big J said:

They may be at one end of the cultural sensitivity spectrum, and perhaps that isn't so healthy. But you're certainly at the other extreme, and I'd say that's equally problematic. A happy medium isn't a bad thing.

There is nothing wrong with highlighting historical issues relating to culture, race and imperialism, all of which inform our current situation and many of which don't bear up well under 21st century scrutiny. 

I'd say that by reacting to this interview with James Wong in the way that you have suggests you were looking for something to be offended about. 

You’ve gone from asserting,  “this isn’t about race” to conceding that point then fully immersing yourself in the race debate within a couple of posts.

You see how easily you were drawn into their damaging narrative. 

It’s naive and gullible people like you that are easily manipulated then weaponised by the likes of James Wong in order to amplify his toxic message. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

You’ve gone from asserting,  “this isn’t about race” to conceding that point then fully immersing yourself in the race debate within a couple of posts.

You see how easily you were drawn into their damaging narrative. 

It’s naive and gullible people like you that are easily manipulated then weaponised by the likes of James Wong in order to amplify his toxic message. 

Nope.

I was reacting to your conclusions rather than James Wong's comments. 

If we fail to take heed of our past we run the risk of repeating the same mistakes. There is nothing racist about taking about race and its historical context.

Immediately crying bloody murder the moment someone does raise the topic is the equal and opposite reaction to the perceived extreme leftist sentiment that you claim to see.

It's exhausting. If you listened to Gardeners Question Time you wouldn't take his comments so seriously. He's an affable and pleasant chap.

• Like 1

We should celebrate the fact that so many of us are now wealthy enough to have a garden and enjoy gardening. The heritage of “gardening” is those in the past who were the elite, yes by our modern standards they may have became wealthy in ways we no longer approve of. But so what, it happened, bitching about it now will change nothing. All countries and cultures did bad things in the past. I fail to see why any of their modern population should be held accountable?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Big J said:

If we fail to take heed of our past we run the risk of repeating the same mistakes. There is nothing racist about taking about race and its historical context.

Ok,  so you're now contending that past and current horticulture practices need work in the area of race. If you’d like to clarify. Which practices are you referring to? 

1 hour ago, scotspine1 said:

Ok,  so you're now contending that past and current horticulture practices need work in the area of race. If you’d like to clarify. Which practices are you referring to? 

I honestly couldn't care less about this argument that you seem intent on having. 

It's something that James Wong feels is worth raising. He's not accusing anyone of being racist. That's the conclusion you've drawn. 

Give it a rest man. He's entitled to make a polite and inoffensive point without folk like you jumping down his throat accusing him of all manner of racial sh1t stirring.

• Like 1

"Absolutely U.K. gardening has racism baked into its DNA" 

That statement regardless of how he attempts to justify afterwards is implicitly directed at the majority of U.K. gardeners who happen to be native Britons. He is attempting to lecture to these people by exploiting his position of influence.

The reason you know this is because he was specifically attacking U.K. gardening which is where you'll find the majority made up of native British people because native British people make up the majority of the population. His pathetic attempts at crying racism then centre around an absurd semantics based argument about the use of, 'native' and 'heritage'. Seeking to corrupt and subvert their meaning he fails miserably because he doesn't have the intellect or foresight to realise it was a ridiculous argument in the first place. 

He is an intellectually and morally bankrupt fool seeking to sow racial division where there was none. 

• Like 1

You see the moment you use the term "native Britons", you've made a fairly strong case for you being a bigot. I f*cking hate that term. Like the accident of the location of your birth gives you the supreme right to live in a place. A related point - why are people coming into the UK immigrants and people leaving the UK expats?

Regardless, I don't care about this storm in a teacup that you seem to be intent on stirring up. If you can't see the evidence of Victorian colonialism as you wade through Himalayan Balsam, to climb a eucalyptus covered in Virginia creeper, perhaps you need to pay more attention. 

I reiterate - I like gardening, I don't care about this. You chose to start a thread with some pretty aggressive (and false) conclusions.