EU 2.5 ton Olicense

aspenarb

RHA sent through a bulletin the other day stating that UK trucks over 2.5 ton that are used commercially and travelling through the EU will need an Olicense later in the year. Uk may follow.

Despite Brexit, vans of 2.5 tonnes-plus may still have to comply with EU rules, especially when deliveries take them across...

3 hours ago, aspenarb said:

RHA sent through a bulletin the other day stating that UK trucks over 2.5 ton that are used commercially and travelling through the EU will need an Olicense later in the year. Uk may follow.

Despite Brexit, vans of 2.5 tonnes-plus may still have to comply with EU rules, especially when deliveries take them across...

Interesting reading, the article was written in Aug 2018, if it was Likely soon I’m sure we would of heard more by now. 

the younger generation not being able to run 7.5t means more excessively fat transits on the road which I think was a step backwards. If they could all run 7.5t  trucks the roads would be safer IMO.

I think a trailer mot system will be on the horizon in the not to distant future. A log book and mandatory safety test for all trailers wouldn’t be a bad thing for safety, it would also make it harder to steal and run stolen trailers as well

i wouldn’t be at all surprised if some chair polisher doesn’t come up with a crap scheme that ruins it even more for those of us trying to run legally and not making any difference to those who don’t give a toss.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moose McAlpine said:

DVLA/DVSA said a while ago that we'll pretty much copy EU road rules.

I think the noose will tighten, nearly half of the 3.5 tonners fail their MOT and most are running overweight, its a cash cow if they go ahead.There is already talk of including Northern Ireland because of the movements between the south. They will have to police the foreign trucks and may well follow the EU legislation

3.5 tonne weight exemption for international licensing to...

Edited by aspenarb
  • Thanks 1

So this will mean most 4x4 pickups will have to be as well, how on this earth are the right department going to cope with all the applications. 
They won't which unless they give a decent grace period of compliance lots of people will find themselves parked up unable to earn a living again.
It's hard enough just to get a young lad a trailer towing test at the moment!

If they do bring in a olicence for smaller vehicles and run it the same as larger vehicles I could see a lot of firms myself included going sod it in for a penny in for a pound and stepping up to 10ton+ vehicles

52 minutes ago, Gray git said:

If they do bring in a o licence for smaller vehicles and run it the same as larger vehicles I could see a lot of firms myself included going sod it in for a penny in for a pound and stepping up to 10ton+ vehicles

Yes, I would be very tempted to change my 3.5T Iveco tipper to the 6.5 or 7.5T eqivalent.

My Reynolds Boughton RB44/66 (twin rear wheel) tipper went to a new home on a sheep farm in the Falklands. Wish I had kept it now!

IMAG0153.jpg

• Like 3